Dialogue 1
Mark: Hi, Jingjing. I didn't get any messages from you all week. How've you been?
馬克:嗨,京晶,我這一周都沒有收到你的任何信息呢,最近怎么樣?
Jingjing: Pretty busy, but good.
京晶:特別忙,還好。
Mark: Alright. Anything new?
馬克:好吧,有啥新鮮事?
Jingjing: Hey, Mark, do you mind if point something out.
京晶:馬克,你介意我說點什么嗎?
Mark: Don't hold back. What's on your mind?
馬克:別拘著,在想什么呢?
Jingjing: Well, I've noticed you sometimes put a smile emoticon at the end of messages on WeChat.
京晶:嗯,我注意到你有時會發微信信息的末尾放一個笑臉的表情符號。
Mark: Yeah, so?
馬克:對啊,所以呢?
Jingjing: Well, it's not the joyful smile. So, I sometimes feel a little nonplussed at the end of a conversation I've had with you over text.
京晶:那個,不是愉快的笑臉啦。所以,我有的時候會在跟你用文字信息交流的末尾有一點不知所措。
Mark: Wow, I didn't know a smile could do all that. But, if it's something you can point out to me—here, I've got the regular set of emojis up on my phone.
馬克:哇哦,我不知道一個笑臉還可以有這般能耐。但是,如果有些是你可以指給我看看的,這兒,我手機有那些常態的表情符號。
Jingjing: I mean this one, with the plain smile and the open eyes.
京晶:我就是說的這一個,簡單的笑容,睜開的眼睛。
Mark: This first one?
京晶:這第一個嗎?
Jingjing: Yeah, see how the eyes look the same as with the grimace, the frown, and the wave goodbye?
京晶:對呢,看這眼睛看上去跟做鬼臉,皺眉頭,和揮手再見是多么一樣。
Mark: Oh yeah, they're all the same eyes. To me, that classic smile—the one you don't like—just means milder emotion. But you recommend I use the joyful smile, the laugh, or the grin to express real happiness, right? Oh, crap!
馬克:還真是呢,都是一樣的眼睛。對我來說,那個經典的笑容——你不喜歡的那個——就只意味著更溫和一些的情緒表達。但是你建議我用那個愉悅的笑臉,或者大笑,或者露齒笑來表達真正的快樂,對嗎?噢,糟了
Jingjing: Yeah, exactly. Huh? What happened?
京晶:對啊,就是這意思。怎么了?
Mark: You know how we had the emoji menu up on my phone? I just sent the emojis we were talking about to someone from an hour-old chat: classic smile, grimace, frown, and wave goodbye. I hope it's not too late to recall the message.
馬克:你知道我們手機上不是有表情符號菜單嗎,我剛把我們剛才說的那幾個表情: 經典笑臉,鬼臉,皺眉,揮手,發給一小時之前聊天的聯系人了。希望現在撤回消息還來得及。
Jingjing: I'll leave you to it while I get back to work. Good luck.
京晶:你先弄吧,我回去工作了,順利哦!
New words: 習語短語
point something out 指出別人的(問題)通常對方可能不太愛聽
explain something to a person that they might not like hearing
hold back 抑制、阻礙
avoid saying too much
What's on your mind? 你在想什么?
What are you thinking?
emoticon 表情符號
a simple symbol to show emotion, such as a smiley face
nonplussed 不知所措的
unexcited, uninspired, not strongly affected by something that has happened or has been said
grimace 鬼臉
a facial expression (also one of the standard emoticons) to show discomfort
crap (口語)完了,壞了!搞砸了
an expletive used when something bad and surprising has happened, alternately it can be used to describe junk ("Who put all this crap on my desk?")
emojis 視覺情感符號,表情符號
a larger set of emoticons, symbols and simple pictures of objects such as birthday cakes, apples, and hand signals
recall 撤回
take back, especially through a formal procedure
leave you to it 讓你自己處理某事
let you do something yourself
Dialogue 2
Mark sees Jingjing next time.
馬克又和京晶見面了
Mark: Well, my friend on WeChat got weirded out by those emojis I sent. So, I had to explain it.
馬克:我微信的朋友已經被我發的那些表情弄暈了,所以我不得不解釋。
Jingjing: Everything's ok now, right?
京晶:一切還好吧?
Mark: Yeah, but I didn't have anything new to say to that guy. So, I just ended it with, "let's go for a beer sometime" and sent him a sticker. Have you seen this set of stickers?
馬克:嗯。但是我又沒什么別的話要對那個人說,所以,我就以“找時間一起去喝一杯吧”結尾了,然后給他發了一個表情包,你看過這組表情包嗎?
Jingjing: Oh, yeah, those are cute.
京晶:知道呢,特別可愛。
Mark: I stick with some of my chat groups just to collect stickers.
馬克:我待在我的一些聊天群里不退就是為了搜集表情包。
Jingjing: Don't you have something to contribute to those groups?
京晶:那你就沒有貢獻過什么給這些群嗎?
Mark: Sometimes, when someone asks a question that not so many other people can answer.
馬克:有人問了個問題,不是太多人能回答的時候吧。(我就來回答)
Jingjing: But the other times, you just grab stickers.
京晶:但是有些時候,你只是抓過來表情包。
Mark: And funny videos, cute pictures—that kind of stuff: social media fluff.
馬克:還有好笑的視頻,可愛的圖片—類似那些東西,社交媒體上的那些意義不太大的東西。
Jingjing: Hmm. How about you show me your collection. You might have something I don't have.
京晶:你給我看看你搜集的怎么樣?你也許有我沒有的。
Mark: Most of the same stuff keeps going around. I've got to go now, though.
馬克:大多數這些一樣的東西都是來來回回的發。不過,我得走了。
Jingjing: OK, maybe next time.
京晶:好吧,也許下次吧。
Mark: Well, I'll send you some in a little while. Then you could just save the ones you like.
馬克:這樣,我一會兒給你發一些,你喜歡哪些就自己存下。
Jingjing: Thanks in advance for that. See you later.
京晶:提前謝謝你嘍,回見!
New words: 習語短語
weirded out 感覺奇怪,糊涂
feeling strange and uncomfortable as a result of something that has happened or been said
fluff 無價值之物
content published or broadcast on social media that does not have useful information, but is likely to be cute
going around 來回,循環
circulating, being passed from one person to another (for example, in autumn, the common cold is going around)