Other normal physical differences explain why some may love the dizziness associated with a loop-de-loop,
另外的一些正常生理現象的區別則解釋了為何有些人喜愛轉圈帶來的眩暈感,
while loathing the stomach-drop sensation of a steep roller coaster,
卻討厭過山車帶來的胃部翻江倒海的感覺;
or why some squeal with delight inside a haunted house, but retreat in terror if taken to an actual cemetery.
為何有些人在鬼屋中興奮的尖叫,卻不敢到真正的墓園當中。
Fear brings more than just a fun, natural high.
恐懼帶來的不僅是興奮和“高潮”。
Doing things that we're afraid of can give us a nice boost of self-esteem.
嘗試挑戰我們害怕的東西對于樹立自尊自信益處頗多。
Like any personal challenge, whether it's running a race or finishing a long book,
就像很多個人挑戰一樣,無論是完成了一次跑步比賽,還是讀完了一本篇幅很長的書,
when we make it through to the end, we feel a sense of accomplishment.
當堅持到最后時,我們都會很有成就感。

This is true even if we know we're not really in any danger.
這是事實,即便早已知曉我們并非真正身處險境。
Our thinking brains may know the zombies aren't real, but our bodies tell us otherwise.
大腦告訴我們僵尸并不存在,但我們的身體反應卻并非如此。
The fear feels real, so when we make it through alive, the satisfaction and sense of accomplishment also feel real.
恐懼的感受非常真實,因此當我們挑戰成功時,那種滿足感和成就感同樣真實。
This is a great evolutionary adaptation.
這是一種強大的進化與適應能力。
Those who had the right balance of bravery and wit to know when to push through the fear and when to retreat
有些人能夠很好的辨別魯莽和智慧,他們知道何時需要勇往直前,何時需要急流勇退,
were rewarded with survival, new food, and new lands.
而他們獲得的獎賞則是“生存",新的食物,新的棲息地。
Finally, fear can bring people together.
最后,恐懼還能提高人們的凝聚力。
Emotions can be contagious, and when you see your friend scream and laugh, you feel compelled to do the same.
情緒是極富感染性的,無論你看到朋友在尖叫或大笑,都會不自覺的想和他做同樣的事情。
This is because we make sense of what our friends are experiencing by recreating the experience ourselves.
這是因為我們會再創情境,來使自己感受朋友正在經歷的情緒。
In fact, the parts of the brain that are active when our friend screams are active in us when we watch them.
事實上,當我們看到看到朋友正在尖叫時,我們自身對應恐懼和尖叫的大腦部分也會活躍起來。
This not only intensifies our own emotional experience, but makes us feel closer to those we're with.
這不僅會加強我們自身的情緒體驗,也會拉近我們與身邊同伴的距離。
The feeling of closeness during times of fear is aided by the hormone oxytocin released during fight or flight.
恐懼期間產生的親近感是體內某種激素刺激產生的,而這種激素和我們在搏斗或飛行時產生的是相同的。
Fear is a powerful emotional experience, and anything that triggers a strong reaction is going to be stored in our memory really well.
恐懼是種強烈的情緒體驗,任何引發這種強烈反應的刺激,都會在我們的頭腦中留下鮮活的記憶。
You don't want to forget what can hurt you.
你不會忘記那些會對你造成傷害的事物。
So if your memory of watching a horror film with your friends is positive and left you with a sense of satisfaction, then you'll want to do it over and over again.
所以當你和同伴一起看恐怖電影的記憶十分刺激,并且帶給你極大的滿足感時,你就會不斷的期望再次嘗試。