He had taken my hand, as if to lead me to a chair.
他拉住了我的手,仿佛要領我坐到一條椅子上。
As I spoke he gave my wrist a convulsive grip.
我一說出口,他便一陣痙攣,緊緊抓住我的手。
The smile on his lips froze. Apparently a spasm caught his breath.
嘴上的笑容凍結了。顯然一陣抽搐使他透不過氣來。
"Mason! — the West Indies!" he said, in the tone one might fancy a speaking automaton to enounce its single words.
"梅森!— 西印度群島!"他說,那口氣使人想起一架自動說話機,吐著單個詞匯。
"Mason! — the West Indies!" he reiterated.
"梅森!— 西印度群島!"他念念有詞。
And he went over the syllables three times, growing, in the intervals of speaking, whiter than ashes.
把那幾個字重復了三遍,說話的間隙,臉色白加死灰。
He hardly seemed to know what he was doing.
幾乎不知道自己在干什么。
"Do you feel ill, sir?" I inquired.
"你不舒服,先生?"我問。
"Jane, I've got a blow; I 've got a blow, Jane!" He staggered. Oh, lean on me, sir.
"簡,我受了打擊,我受了打擊,簡!"他身子搖搖晃晃。呵!靠在我身上,先生。
Jane, you offered me your shoulder once before; let me have it now.
簡,你的肩膀曾支撐過我,現在再支撐一回吧。
Yes, sir, yes, and my arm.
好的,先生,好的,還有我的胳膊。
He sat down, and made me sit beside him.
他坐了下來,讓我坐在他旁邊。
Holding my hand in both his own, he chafed it. Gazing on me, at the same time, with the most troubled and dreary look.
用雙手握住我的手,搓了起來。同時黯然神傷地凝視著我。
"My little friend!" said he, "I wish I were in a quiet island with only you,
"我的小朋友,"他說,"我真希望呆在一個平靜的小島上,只有你我在一起,
and trouble, and danger, and hideous recollections removed from me."
煩惱、危險、討厭的往事都離我們遠遠的。"
Can I help you, sir? I'd give my life to serve you.
我能幫助你嗎,先生?我愿獻出生命,為你效勞。
Jane, if aid is wanted, I'll seek it at your hands. I promise you that.
"簡,要是我需要援手,我會找你幫忙,我答應你。