Dialogue 1
Mark and Jingjing are in a coffee shop.
馬克和京晶在一家咖啡店里
Mark: I didn't know there was a coffee shop around here. How did you find it?
馬克:我不知道這附近還有一家咖啡店。你是怎么找到的?
Jingjing: I came here with another friend of mine.
京晶:我和另外一位朋友來過。
Mark: It seems pretty popular.
馬克:這地方看上去還挺受歡迎。
Jingjing: See if you like the drinks here. What are you thinking of having?
京晶:你看看喜不喜歡這里這些喝的東西。你現在想來點兒什么?
Mark: Just a cup of Joe.
馬克:一杯咖啡就行。
Jingjing: You mean plain coffee?
京晶:你是說普通咖啡?
Mark: Why not? It costs half as much as those fancy drinks, and tastes just as good.
馬克:為什么不呢?它只有那些華麗麗的飲料一半的價格,味道一樣棒。
Jingjing: For me, a big part of going to a coffee shop is having a special drink I can't make at home.
京晶:對我來說,去咖啡店一個主要原因就是來一杯我在家里做不了的特別飲料。
Mark: I get that. What would you like to order?
馬克:我明白你的意思。你想點點兒什么?
Jingjing: I can never decide between a cappuccino and a latte.
京晶:在卡布奇諾和拿鐵之間,我從來無法做出選擇。
Mark: What did you have last time?
馬克:你上次喝的什么?
Jingjing: I think it was a cappuccino.
京晶:我想是卡布奇諾吧。
Mark: It sounds like you're gonna order a latte this time, unless you think it's too plain.
馬克:聽上去你這次要點一杯拿鐵了,除非你認為它太清淡。
Jingjing: Done deal!
京晶:就它了!
New words: 習語短語
a cup of Joe 一杯咖啡
(This refers to a cup of regular coffee, without anything added to it. The saying, "a cup of Joe", comes from "a cup of Josephus Daniels", named after the Secretary of the Navy during World War I, who banned alcohol on US Naval ships.)
I get (that). 我明白,我理解
(I understand that.)
cappuccino 卡布奇諾咖啡
(espresso with foamed milk on top)
a latte 拿鐵咖啡
(espresso poured into a cup together with steamed milk)
Done deal! 我們已經決定了
(We've decided.)
Dialogue 2
Jingjing and Mark are deciding whether to stay longer at the coffee shop.
京晶和馬克正在決定要不要在咖啡店多待一會兒
Mark: Hmm, my coffee's getting cold. I'm gonna kill it.
馬克:嗯,我的咖啡快變涼了,我馬上把它喝完。
Jingjing: How about you grab one of those magazines for me.
京晶:你遞一本那邊的雜志給我怎么樣?
Mark: Do you really want to hang out here longer? Those magazines are all advertisements.
馬克:你真的想在這兒再多待一會兒嗎?那些雜志上都是廣告。
Jingjing: No newspapers? Ask them again about the wi-fi.
京晶:沒有報紙嗎?再問一次他們的無線網絡。
Mark: The password works. It's just painfully slow.
馬克:密碼管用,就是網速慢哭了。
Jingjing: Man, it seems they don't want people to get settled in here.
京晶:天,看上去他們不想人們在這兒久待。
Mark: Well, I saw a few people eyeing our table. They turned tail when they saw the place was full.
馬克:我看見有些人正在打量著我們這桌呢。他們看見地方滿了扭頭就走了。
Jingjing: They're not missing out. This chair is making my back hurt.
京晶:他們沒錯過什么。這張椅子把我的后背弄得好疼。
Mark: Mine is lumpy, and too low for this table.
馬克:我這把不平,而且對這張桌子來說太矮了。
Jingjing: You seem shorter than usual. I wasn't going to say anything.
京晶:你看著都比平時矮了。我本來不想說的。
Mark: Ha ha. That photo on the wall behind you has been bothering me ever since we sat down.
馬克:哈哈,自打我們一落座,你后邊那張墻上的照片就讓我渾身不自在。
Jingjing: What's the matter with it?
京晶:怎么了?
Mark: It's just weird, that's all.
馬克:就是怪怪的。僅此而已。
Jingjing: Alright already. We've already settled up. Let's bail.
京晶:好吧。我們已經結過帳了,撤吧。
New words: 習語短語
kill it 迅速吃完喝完
(finish a drink or a food item quickly)
eyeing 看著某事想要
(looking at something, wanting it for yourself)
turn tail 轉頭離去
(leave suddenly, soon after having arrived)
settle up 付款,結賬
(pay the bill)
bail 離開,撤離,走
(leave suddenly, after being somewhere a while)