So oft have I invoked thee for my Muse
蒙你的垂顧我常得靈感的獎賞,
And found such fair assistance in my verse
托你的蔭庇我這才詩心不僵。
As every alien pen hath got my use
于是另一些詩客群起而學步,
And under thee their poesy disperse.
并借你的庇護使詩作傳揚。
Thine eyes that taught the dumb on high to sing
你的雙眸曾教會啞子引吭歌唱,
And heavy ignorance aloft to fly
曾教會沉重的無知在高空飛翔,
Have added feathers to the learned's wing
曾借來羽翼使學人雙翅生風,

And given grace a double majesty.
曾賦予高士鴻儒威名遠蕩。
Yet be most proud of that which I compile,
然而你引以為豪者是我的華章,
Whose influence is thine and born of thee:
它們因你而生,全是你的兒郎。
In others' works thou dost but mend the style,
對別人的詩作你只是改進其詩風,
And arts with thy sweet graces graced be;
有你的美質撐腰,他們才文采飛揚。
But thou art all my art and dost advance
但我的詩才不過是你詩魂的重現,
As high as learning my rude ignorance.
是你讓我的粗陋分華到博學高尚。