I'm not raising a little boy, like Mike.
我沒有撫養過像Mike這樣的小男孩兒。
Mike is a little boy in Florida. He's 11 years old,
Mike是弗羅里達州的一名小男孩兒,他今年11歲。
and the thing that he loves most in the world is a show called "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic,"
他在這個世界上最喜歡的東西,和美國其他成千上萬的孩子們一樣,
like millions of other children across America.
是一部動畫片,名叫《小馬駒之友誼魔法》。
Now, the show is marketed to girls ages five to nine,
這個動畫的消費人群針對5-9歲的小女孩,
but there are millions of boys and grown men who enjoy "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic."
但是卻有不計其數的小男孩兒,還有成年男性,也喜歡《小馬駒之友誼魔法》。
They have a club. They call themselves Bronies, pony bros, guys who like ponies.
他們成立了一個俱樂部。他們稱自己為小馬兄弟,一群喜歡小馬駒的男人。
I happen to be one of them.
我碰巧就是其中之一。
And what are Mike and myself and millions of other boys and men learning in this feminine, sissified world of "My Little Pony?"
Mike和我,還有無數的男孩和男人們,從這個女性化的“我的小馬世界”里學到了什么呢?
Well, they're learning to study hard and to work hard and to party hard and to look good and to feel good and to do good,
他們懂得了努力學習,努力工作,努力玩耍,懂得了舉止得體,樂觀自信,行善積德,
and heaven preserve us from teaching these wussified concepts to boys.
而男孩生來就被避免了接觸這些死板的概念。
So the other kids in his neighborhood pick on Mike and they beat him up and they make fun of him,
所以鄰里的孩子就在Mike身上找茬兒,毆打他,嘲笑他,
and at 11 years old, Mike goes home, finds a belt, wraps it around his neck,
作為一名11歲的男孩,Mike回到家,找到了跟帶子,套過脖子,
and hangs himself from the top bunk of his bed.
把自己掛在了上鋪的床沿上。
Because we have developed a society in which you would rather be dead as a boy than thought of as liking stuff for girls.
因為我們的社會決定了一種模式,寧可做一名死去的男孩,也不愿被人說喜歡女孩的東西。
And that is not Mike's fault. That is our fault.
那不是Mike的錯。那是我們的錯。
We have failed him. We have failed our children.
我們令他失望了。我們令我們的孩子們失望了。
And we have to do better for them.
我們應該為了他們做得更好。
We have to stop making it so that the only female superheroes appear on shirts that are pink and cut for girls.
我們必須停止這么做,不能讓女超人的形象只出現在針對女孩兒的、可愛的、粉嘟嘟的T恤上。