The crimson curtain hung before the arch.
拱門前懸掛著大紅門簾。
Slight as was the separation this drapery formed from the party in the adjoining saloon,
雖然我們與毗連的餐室中的客人之間,僅一層之隔,
they spoke in so low a key that nothing of their conversation could be distinguished beyond a soothing murmur.
但他們話說得那么輕,除了柔和的嗡嗡聲,彼此之間的交談一點都聽不清楚。
Adèle, who appeared to be still under the influence of a most solemnising impression,
阿黛勒似乎仍受著嚴肅氣氛的震懾,
sat down, without a word, on the footstool I pointed out to her.
一聲不吭地坐在我指給她的小凳上。
I retired to a window-seat, and taking a book from a table near, endeavoured to read.
我退縮在一個靠窗的位置上,隨手從臨近的臺子上取了本書,竭力讀下去。
Adèle brought her stool to my feet; ere long she touched my knee.
阿黛勒把她的小凳子搬到我腳邊,不久便碰了碰我膝頭。
"What is it, Adèle?"
"怎么啦,阿黛勒?"
"Est-ce que je ne puis pas prendrie une seule de ces fleurs magnifiques, mademoiselle? Seulement pour completer ma toilette."
"小姐,我不能只有這些美麗的花?只有完成我的作品。"
"You think too much of your 'toilette,' Adèle, but you may have a flower."
"你對自己的‘外表’想得太多啦,阿黛勒,不過你可以戴一朵花。"
And I took a rose from a vase and fastened it in her sash.
于是我從花瓶里掐下一朵花來,系在她的彩帶上。
She sighed a sigh of ineffable satisfaction, as if her cup of happiness were now full.
她舒了口氣,顯出一種不可言喻的滿足,仿佛她的幸福之杯此刻已經斟滿了。
I turned my face away to conceal a smile I could not suppress.
我轉過臉去,掩飾自己抑制不住的微笑。
There was something ludicrous as well as painful in the little Parisienne's earnest and innate devotion to matters of dress.
在這位巴黎小女子天生對服飾的熱烈追求中,既有幾分可笑,又有幾分可悲。