The next day was as fine as its predecessor.
第二天跟第一天一樣,是個晴朗的日子。
It was devoted by the party to an excursion to some site in the neighbourhood.
客人們乘機到臨近的某個地方去遠足。
They set out early in the forenoon, some on horseback, the rest in carriages.
他們上午很早就出發了,有的騎馬,有的坐馬車。
I witnessed both the departure and the return.
我親眼看著他們出發,看著他們歸來。
Miss Ingram, as before, was the only lady equestrian.
像以前一樣,英格拉姆小姐是唯一一位女騎手。
And, as before, Mr. Rochester galloped at her side.
羅切斯特先生同她并駕齊驅。
The two rode a little apart from the rest.
他們兩人騎著馬同其余的客人拉開了一段距離。
I pointed out this circumstance to Mrs. Fairfax, who was standing at the window with me.
費爾法克斯太太正與我一起站在窗前,我向她指出了這一點。
"You said it was not likely they should think of being married," said I.
"你說他們不可能想到結婚,"我說。
"But you see Mr. Rochester evidently prefers her to any of the other ladies."
"可是你瞧,比起其他女人來,羅切斯特先生明顯更喜歡她。"
"Yes, I dare say. No doubt he admires her."
"是呀,我猜想他毫無疑問愛慕她。"
"And she him," I added, "look how she leans her head towards him as if she were conversing confidentially.
"而且她也愛慕他,"我補充說"瞧她的頭湊近他,仿佛在說什么知心話呢!
I wish I could see her face.
但愿能見到她的臉。
I have never had a glimpse of it yet."
我還從來沒見過一眼呢!"
"You will see her this evening," answered Mrs. Fairfax.
"今天晚上你會見到她的,"費爾法克斯太太回答說。
"I happened to remark to Mr. Rochester how much Adèle wished to be introduced to the ladies,
"我偶然向羅切斯特先生提起,阿黛勒多么希望能見一見小姐們。
and he said: 'Oh! let her come into the drawing-room after dinner, and request Miss Eyre to accompany her.' "
他說:‘呵,那就讓她飯后上客廳里來吧,請愛小姐陪她來。’"
"Yes. He said that from mere politeness. I need not go, I am sure," I answered.
"噢,他不過是出于禮貌才那么說的,我不必去了,肯定的。"我回答。
"Well, I observed to him that as you were unused to company,
"瞧,我對他說,你不習慣交往,
I did not think you would like appearing before so gay a party — all strangers.
所以我想你不會喜歡在一批輕松愉快而又都互不相識的賓客前露面。
And he replied, in his quick way — 'Nonsense! If she objects, tell her it is my particular wish.
他還是那么急躁地回答說,‘胡說八道!要是她不愿來,就告訴她這是我個人的意愿。
And if she resists, say I shall come and fetch her in case of contumacy.' "
如果她拒絕,你就說,她這么倔強,我要親自來叫了。’"