Dialogue 1
Mark: Hey, Jingjing. You wanna come bungee jumping with me and my friends? We're heading out this afternoon. It's gonna be so much fun!
馬克:嘿,京晶。你想加入我和我的朋友們去蹦極嗎?我們今天下午出發,肯定會特別好玩兒的!
Jingjing: Bungee jumping? I'll pass. I've got acrophobia.
京晶:蹦極?我還是算了吧。我有恐高癥。
Mark: Excuse me? Acro what?
馬克:你說什么?恐什么?
Jingjing: Acrophobia. It means that I'm afraid of heights.
京晶:恐高癥。就是說我怕高。
Mark: Oh, I've never heard that before.
馬克:哦,我從來沒有聽說過。
Jingjing: Do you have any phobias?
京晶:你沒有什么恐懼癥么?
Mark: What's a phobia?
馬克:什么是恐懼癥?
Jingjing: It's a fear of something.
京晶:就是一個你恐懼的東西。
Mark: Well, let's see. When I was a young chap, I was scared of the dark.
馬克:好吧,讓我來想想。當我還是一個小男孩的時候,我很怕黑。
Jingjing: Scared of the dark eh? There's a name for that! It's called nyctophobia.
京晶:怕黑?那個詞叫什么來著?哦對了,這叫黑夜恐懼癥。
Mark: Cool, I never knew there were special names for fears.
馬克:酷,我從來不知道恐懼還有這么多特殊的名稱。
Jingjing: Yup, psychiatrists often use these words to describe certain characteristics of their patients.
京晶:是啊,精神科醫生通常會用這些名稱來形容他們病人的某些特征。
Mark: Are there any other interesting phobias?
馬克:還有什么其他有趣的恐懼癥嗎?
Jingjing: There's thousands upon thousands. For example, did you know that people who are scared of trees have dendrophobia?
京晶:那多了去了。比如,你知道有人有大樹恐懼癥嗎?
Mark: Really? I had no idea. Anyways, I have to get going. It's almost lunch time and I want to get to the cafeteria early, otherwise I'll have to wait in a long line.
馬克:真的嗎?我從沒聽說過。不過,我得先走了。要到午餐時間了,我想早點兒去食堂,否則我就不得不排很久的隊。
jingjing: Okay, it sounds like you have macrophobia, which is a fear of having to wait for a long time.
京晶:好吧,聽起來你像是有等待恐懼癥。
Mark: It's... true!
馬克:還真是……!
New words: 習語短語
bungee jumping=蹦極,帶著松緊繩從高處的平臺上跳下來
head out=離開;出發
I'll pass.=不,謝謝;我還是算了吧。
acrophobia=恐高癥
young chap=小伙子,年輕人
nyctophobia=黑夜懼怖癥,恐懼黑暗或晚上
psychiatrist=心理醫生
thousands upon thousands=成千上萬,用來形容大量(數以千計)
dendrophobia=恐樹癥
macrophobia=久候恐懼癥
Dialogue 2
Mark: Hey, Jingjing, you wanna come light some fireworks with me? I have a huge variety. You'll probably like it.
馬克:嘿,京晶,你要來和我一起放煙花嗎?我有好多品種,估計你會喜歡的。
Jingjing: Geez, you just love playing with fire, don't you? Every year you wanna set off fireworks with me. I'd say you're a pyromaniac.
京晶:天啊,你這么喜歡玩火啊?每年你都叫我一起放煙花。要我說你就是個縱火狂。
Mark: Hey! Just because I like to set off fireworks doesn't mean I'm a pyro. Besides, what's wrong with lighting fireworks?
馬克:嘿!就因為我喜歡放煙花并不意味著我是一個縱火狂啊。況且,愛放煙花有什么不對的?
Jingjing: Nothing... It's just that I have pyrophobia. I don't like fire. In fact, I'm quite afraid of it. When I was younger my neighbor's house caught on fire. No one was injured, thankfully. But I will never forget how scared I was.
京晶:沒什么……只是我有恐火癥。我不喜歡火。或者應該說,我害怕火。小的時候我鄰居家著火了。謝天謝地沒有人受傷,但是,我永遠都不會忘記當時我有多么害怕。
Mark: Oh, I understand.
馬克:哦,那我明白了。
Jingjing: Anyways, when you're done lighting off the fireworks, you can come over to my house. I got a new dog! He's so cute!
京晶:不說這個了,你放完煙花來我家吧。我新養了一條狗!特別可愛!
Mark: That's okay. I have cynophobia. I was bitten by a dog when I was younger. Ever since then I've been really scared of them.
馬克:還是別了,我有恐狗癥。我小時候被狗咬傷過,從那時起我就一直很害怕狗。
Jingjing: Oh, that's too bad. The only creature I'm afraid of is a snake. That means I have ophidiophobia.
京晶:噢,這太糟糕了。我唯一怕的生物就是蛇,也就是說我有恐蛇癥。
Mark: Well, I gotta get back to work. Even though I have ergophobia, I have to make money, so I'll talk to you later.
馬克:好吧,我得回去工作了。即使我有工作恐懼癥,我還是得要賺錢啊,所以回頭聊吧。
Jingjing: Peace!
京晶:嗯,回見!
New words: 習語短語
fireworks=煙花爆竹
huge variety=各種各樣,有很多不同類型的
pyromaniac=縱火狂,癡迷于火的人
pyro=pyromaniac簡稱, 縱火狂
pyrophobia=恐火癥
to be injured=受傷
cynophobia=恐狗癥
ophidiophobia=恐蛇癥
ergophobia=工作恐懼癥,對工作厭惡恐懼