There's always a sort of a personal version of this that I tell where I was sort of hyper tracked.
對于這個問題,我有一個自身的例子
My 8th grade junior high school yearbook, one of my friends wrote in,
在8年級的時候,一個小伙伴在我的紀念冊上寫道
I know you'll get into Stanford in four years as a Sophomore,
我知道,四年之后,你一定會進入斯坦福
sort of when it is going to Stanford four years later, the end of high school, went to Stanford Law School.
四年之后,在高中畢業后我真的去了斯坦福大學的法學院
You know, ended up at a big law firm in New York, where from the outside everybody wanted to get in.
最后供職于紐約的一家法律事務所,一個外面的人拼命想進去
On the inside everybody wanted to leave.
里面的人拼命想出去的圍城
And it was this very strange dynamic,
正是由于這種奇怪的原因
where after I sort of realized that this was not the best idea,
我意識到這樣下去并不是一個好主意
and left after seven months and three days.
因此7個月零3天后我辭職了
You know, one of the people down the hall from me told me,
當時一個同事跟我說
it's really reassuring to see you leave, Peter.
皮特,真為你的離開感到高興
I had no idea that it was possible to escape from Alcatraz.
我就沒用勇氣逃離此地
Which of course, all you had to do was go out the front door and not come back.
其實離開很簡單,打開門走人就是了
But so much of people identities got wrapped in winning these competitions,
但很多人卻一直為輸贏所困
that they somehow lost site of what was important, what was valuable.
從而錯過了重要的,有價值的東西
And you know, competition does make you better at whatever it is you're competing on.
不論在何領域,競爭確實能讓你變得更強
Because when you're competing, you're comparing yourself with the people around you.
因為你在競爭的同時會與你周圍的人進行比較
You're figuring out, how do I beat the people next to me?
你會想如何打敗身邊的人
How do I do somewhat better at whatever it is they're doing.
如何做的比別人更好
And you will get better at that thing.
這樣你就會變得更好
I'm not questioning that, I'm not denying that.
我從不否認這一點
But, it often comes at this tremendous price that you stop asking some bigger questions,
但是這樣代價太大了,因為你忽視了更重要的問題
about what's truly important and truly valuable.
忽視了什么才是真正具有價值的東西