So when I decided to create an art piece in Manshiyat Naser,
當我決定在曼斯亞特·納賽爾創建一個藝術品
the neighborhood of the Cairo garbage collectors in Egypt,
在埃及開羅附近的垃圾收集處
I never thought this project would be the most amazing human experience that I would ever live.
我從來沒有想過這個項目會是我有生以來最令人驚訝的經歷
As an artist, I had this humanist intention of beautifying a poor and neglected neighborhood
作為一名藝術家,我有這種人文意愿:我希望用藝術去美化一個被忽視的貧窮街區
by bringing art to it and hopefully shining light on this isolated community.
使這個孤立的社區散發希望的光芒
The first time I heard about this Christian Coptic community was in 2009
我第一次聽到有關科普特基督教社區的消息是在2009年
when the Egyptian authorities under the regime of Hosni Mubarak decided to slaughter 300,000 pigs using the pretext of H1N1 virus.
當埃及在穆巴拉克的政權之下,決定以甲型流感為借口宰殺300,000只豬
Originally, they are pig breeders.
起初,這些人以喂豬為生
Their pigs and other animals are fed with the organic waste that they collect on a daily basis.
他們用每天收集的有機廢物來喂養豬和其他牲畜
This event killed their livelihood.
然而這一事件斷了他們的生計。
The first time I entered Manshiyat Naser, it felt like a maze.
我第一次進入曼斯亞特·納賽爾的時候,感覺像是進入了迷宮
I was looking for the St. Simon Monastery on the top of the Muqattam Mountain.
我在Muqattam山頂上尋找圣西蒙修道院
So you go right, then straight, then right again, then left to reach all the way to the top.
右轉,直行,再右轉,然后左轉,一直到山頂
But to reach there, you must dodge between the trucks overpacked with garbage and slalom between the tuk-tuks,
但當你到達那里時,你應該避開那些裝滿垃圾的卡車和嘟嘟車的障礙
the fastest vehicle to move around in the neighborhood.
那是在這個社區最快的車
The smell of the garbage unloaded from those trucks was intense,
那些從卡車上卸載下來的垃圾氣味是最為強烈的
and the noise of the traffic was loud and overbearing.
還有那些大而蠻橫的堵車聲。
Add to it the din created by the crushers in those warehouses along the way.
再加上那些在倉庫里發出噪音的壓碎機。
From outside it looks chaotic, but everything is perfectly organized.
使得這個城市外表看起來很混亂,但一切都結合得十分完美。