Mass production demanded the shift.
大規模生產需要這種轉軌。
Universal happiness keeps the wheels steadily turning; truth and beauty can't.
眾人的幸福能讓輪子穩定地運轉;而真與美不行。
And, of course, whenever the masses seized political power, then it was happiness rather than truth and beauty that mattered.
而且,當然,只要是群眾掌握了政權,重要的就會是幸福而不是真與美。
Still, in spite of everytung, unrestricted scientific research was still permitted.
但是,盡管如此,那時還是允許無限制地進行科學研究的。
People still went on talking about truth and beauty as though they were the sovereign goods.
人們還在談著真與美,仿佛它們就是最高的善,
Right up to the time of the Nine Years' War. That made them change their tune all right.
直談到九年戰爭之前。是那場戰爭讓他們徹底改變了調子。
What's the point of truth or beauty or knowledge when the anthrax bombs are popping all around you?
炭疽桿菌炸彈在你周圍爆炸,真呀美呀知識呀對你還有什么意思?
That was when science first began to be controlled–after the Nine Years' War.
就從那時開始科學第一次受到了控制——九年戰爭之后,

People were ready to have even their appetites controlled then.
那時候人們還準備好了連褲帶都勒緊呢。
Anything for a quiet life. We've gone on controlling ever since. It hasn't been very good for truth, of course.
為了安定的生活什么都是可以放棄的。我們進行了控制。當然,那對真理不算太好,
But it's been very good for happiness. One can't have something for nothing.
對幸福卻大有好處。有所得必須有所失嘛,
Happiness has got to be paid for. You're paying for it, Mr. Watson–paying because you happen to be too much interested in beauty.
獲得幸福是要付出代價的。你就要付出代價了,華生先生——因為對美的興趣太濃而付出代價。
I was too much interested in truth; I paid too.
我曾經對真理的興趣太濃,我也曾經付出過代價。
"But you didn't go to an island," said the Savage, breaking a long silence.
“可是你并不曾到海島上去。”野蠻人說,打破了長久的沉默。
The Controller smiled. "That's how I paid. By choosing to serve happiness. Other people's–not mine. It's lucky,"
總統笑了。“我的代價是:為幸福服務。為別人的幸福,不是為我自己的幸福服務。幸運的是,”
he added, after a pause, that there are such a lot of islands in the world.
他停了一會兒又接下去,世界上有那么多海島。
I don't know what we should do without them.
要是沒有那么多海島我可真不知道該怎么辦了。
Put you all in the lethal chamber, I suppose.
看來只好把你們全送進毒氣室了。
By the way, Mr. Watson, would you like a tropical climate?
附帶說一句,你喜歡不喜歡赤道氣候?
The Marquesas, for example; or Samoa? Or something rather more bracing?
比如馬奎薩斯群島或是薩莫亞島。或是別的更能夠刺激你的地方?
Helmholtz rose from his pneumatic chair. "I should like a thoroughly bad climate,"
赫姆霍爾茲從他的氣墊椅上站了起來。“我寧可選一個氣候極端惡劣的地方,”
he answered. "I believe one would write better if the climate were bad.
他回答,“我相信惡劣氣候會使我寫得更好。
If there were a lot of wind and storms, for example …"
比如,常常有狂風暴雨……”
The Controller nodded his approbation. I like your spirit, Mr. Watson. I like it very much indeed.
總統點頭表示贊許。我就喜歡你這種精神,華生先生,的確非常喜歡。
As much as I officially disapprove of it. He smiled. "What about the Falkland Islands?"
其程度不亞于我從我的職位上反對它,他微笑了。“那么福克蘭島怎么樣?”
"Yes, I think that will do," Helmholtz answered. "And now, if you don't mind, I'll go and see how poor Bernard's getting on."
“好,我看可以,”赫姆霍爾茲回答,“現在,你如果不介意的話,我要去看看可憐的伯納怎么樣了。”