Lesson 8 Mystery
第八課 懸疑事件
December 16
12月16日
The Toy Store
玩具店
On Saturday morning, I get a call.
我在星期六上午接到一通電話,
The call is from a toy store.
是一家玩具店打來的。
Someone stole some toys last night.
昨晚有人偷了玩具。
I go to the store and look around.
我到那家店去,四處看了看,
There are decorations everywhere.
店里到處都是裝飾品。
And I see a broken window.
我看到一扇被打破的窗戶。
I talk to the manager.
我找經理談話。
"What did the thief steal?"
"小偷偷了什么?"
The manager says,
經理答道:
"The thief stole ten Furry Friends. They are very popular toys."
"小偷偷了十個毛朋友, 那些是很熱門的玩具。"
"Who helped you decorate the store?" I ask.
"是誰幫你裝飾店里?"我問。
"My employee Sam─well, my former employee Sam," the manager tells me.
"我的員工山姆──呃,應該說是我的前員工山姆,"經理對我說。
"I know Sam," I say. "What happened?"
"我認識山姆,"我說, "發生了什么事?"
"Sam was always late.
"山姆每天都遲到。
I gave him one more chance to be on time yesterday.
我昨天又給了他一次準時上班的機會,
He was late again. I fired him. He was angry."
結果他還是遲到, 于是我開除了他。他很生氣。"
"I must talk to Sam," I say.
"我必須和山姆談談,"
"He might know something."
我說, "他可能會知道些什么。"
I find Sam.
我找上山姆。
"Hey, Sam," I say.
"嘿,山姆,"我說,
"How's your job at the toy store?"
"你在玩具店的工作怎么樣啦?"
"I don't work there anymore," Sam answers.
"我現在不在那里工作了,"山姆回答,
"The manager fired me for no reason."
"那位經理無緣無故開除了我。"
"Did you steal some toys to get even?" I ask.
"你有沒有為了報復而偷竊玩具呢?"我問。
"No! I didn't steal any Furry Friend toys," says Sam.
"沒有!我沒有偷毛朋友,"山姆說。
"Oh, yes, you did," I answer.
"你才有呢,"我答道,
"Return them to the store today."
"今天就把那些玩具拿去店里還。"
"How did you know?" Sam asks.
"你怎么知道的?"山姆問。