When I was as old as you, I was a feeling fellow enough,
在我同你一樣年紀的時候,我是一個富有同情心的人,
partial to the unfledged, unfostered, and unlucky, but fortune has knocked me about since.
偏愛羽毛未豐、無人養育和不幸的人,但是命運卻一直打擊我。
She has even kneaded me with her knuckles,
甚至用指關節揉面似地揉我,
and now I flatter myself I am hard and tough as an India-rubber ball;
現在我慶幸自己像一個印度皮球那樣堅韌了,
pervious, though, through a chink or two still, and with one sentient point in the middle of the lump.
不過通過一兩處空隙還能滲透到里面。在這一塊東西的中心,還有一個敏感點。
Yes. Does that leave hope for me?
是的,那使我還能有希望嗎?
Hope of what, sir?
希望什么,先生?
Of my final re-transformation from India-rubber back to flesh?
希望我最終從印度皮球再次轉變為血肉之軀嗎?
"Decidedly he has had too much wine," I thought.
"他肯定是酒喝多了,"我想。
And I did not know what answer to make to his queer question.
我不知道該如何來回答這個奇怪的問題。
how could I tell whether he was capable of being re-transformed?
我怎么知道他是不是可能被轉變過來呢?
"You looked very much puzzled, Miss Eyre.
"你看來大惑不解,愛小姐。
And though you are not pretty any more than I am handsome, yet a puzzled air becomes you.
而你雖然并不漂亮,就像我并不英俊一樣,但那種迷惑的神情卻同你十分相稱。
besides, it is convenient, for it keeps those searching eyes of yours away from my physiognomy,
此外,這樣倒也好,可以把你那種搜尋的目光,從我的臉上轉移到別處去,
and busies them with the worsted flowers of the rug, so puzzle on.
忙著去看毛毯上的花朵。那你就迷惑下去吧。

Young lady, I am disposed to be gregarious and communicative tonight.
年輕小姐,今兒晚上我愛湊熱鬧,也很健談。
With this announcement he rose from his chair, and stood, leaning his arm on the marble mantelpiece.
宣布完畢,他便從椅子上立起來。他佇立著,胳膊倚在大理石壁爐架上。
In that attitude his shape was seen plainly as well as his face.
這種姿勢使他的體形像面容一樣可以看得一清二楚。
His unusual breadth of chest, disproportionate almost to his length of limb.
他的胸部出奇地寬闊,同他四肢的長度不成比例。
I am sure most people would have thought him an ugly man, yet there was so much unconscious pride in his port,
我敢肯定,大多數人都認為他是個丑陋的男人,但是他舉止中卻無意識地流露出那么明顯的傲慢,
so much ease in his demeanour, such a look of complete indifference to his own external appearance,
在行為方面又那么從容自如,對自已的外表顯得那么毫不在乎,
so haughty a reliance on the power of other qualities, intrinsic or adventitious,
又是那么高傲地依賴其他內在或外來的特質的力量,
to atone for the lack of mere personal attractiveness,
來彌補自身魅力的缺乏。
that, in looking at him, one inevitably shared the indifference,
因此,你一瞧著他,就會不由自主地被他的漠然態度所感染,
and, even in a blind, imperfect sense, put faith in the confidence.
甚至盲目片面地對他的自信表示信服。
"I am disposed to be gregarious and communicative to-night," he repeated, "and that is why I sent for you.
"今天晚上我愛湊熱鬧,也健談,"他重復了這句話。"這就是我要請你來的原因。
the fire and the chandelier were not sufficient company for me,
爐火和吊燈還不足陪伴我,
nor would Pilot have been, for none of these can talk.
派洛特也不行,因為它們都不會說話。