On the coffee table sat a copy of my first book.
在咖啡桌旁放著我以前寫的一本暢銷書。
I picked it up as well as the notes she had jotted down on her legal pad.
我拿起書,見到她粘在封面上的一張便條。
“Do you see this?” I said pointing to her notes.
“你看到這個了嗎?”我指著她記的便條。
She looked down at her notes. “What?” she said, confused.
她低頭去看自己的便條,“什么?”她困惑地說。
Again, I pointed deliberately to her notes.
我又指了指她的便條。
On her pad she had written: “Robert Kiyosaki, best-selling author.”
在便條上寫著:“羅伯特·T.清崎,暢銷書作家。”
“It says best-selling author, not best-writing author.”
“上面寫的是暢銷書作家,而不是最好的作家。”
Her eyes widened immediately.
她突然睜大了眼睛。
“I am a terrible writer. You are a great writer. I went to sales school.
“我只是一個平庸的作家,而你則是一位優秀的作家。我去了銷售學校。
You have a master's degree. Put them together and you get a ‘best-selling author' and a ‘best-writing author.'”
而你得了碩士學位。如果你把這兩方面結合起來,你就既是‘暢銷書作家',又是‘最好的作家'?!?/div>
Anger flared from her eyes. “I'll never stoop so low as to learn how to sell.
她的眼里燃起了怒火,“我永遠不會委屈自己去學什么銷售。
People like you have no business writing.
像你這樣的人也不應該寫作。
I am a professionally-trained writer and you are a salesman. It is not fair.”
我是受過專業訓練的作家,而你以前不過是一個推銷員,這不公平?!?/div>
The rest of her notes were put away and she hurried out through the large glass doors into the humid Singapore morning.
她收好其他的便條,然后匆匆穿過巨大的玻璃門,消失在新加坡潮濕的清晨里。
At least she gave me a fair and favorable write-up the next morning.
好在第二天早上她給了我一個公平、良好的訪談記錄。
重點單詞 | 查看全部解釋 | |||
favorable | ['feivərəbl] |
想一想再看 adj. 有利的,贊許的,良好的,順利的,偏袒的 |
||
confused | [kən'fju:zd] |
想一想再看 adj. 困惑的;混亂的;糊涂的 v. 困惑(confu |
||
legal | ['li:gəl] |
想一想再看 adj. 法律的,合法的,法定的 |
聯想記憶 | |
deliberately | [di'libəritli] |
想一想再看 adv. 慎重地,故意地 |