And with this, we could analyze the history of introspection in the ancient Greek tradition,
有了這些數據,我們就可以分析古希臘傳統中有關于內省的歷史,
for which we have the best available written record.
因為有著最完整的文字記錄。
So what we did is we took all the books, we just ordered them by time
所以,我們先把這些書按照時間排列,
for each book we take the words and we project them to the space,
然后把這些字投射到字匯空間里面
and then we ask for each word how close it is to introspection, and we just average that.
然后我們問計算機這些字與內省有多少的相關性,再把它們平均起來。
And then we ask whether, as time goes on and on,
然后,我們不斷地問計算機問題,
these books get closer, and closer and closer to the concept of introspection.
這些書就會越來越接近內省的概念。
And this is exactly what happens in the ancient Greek tradition.
而這正是古希臘所發生的事。

So you can see that for the oldest books in the Homeric tradition,
各位可以看到在荷馬時代最古老的書籍,
there is a small increase with books getting closer to introspection.
與內省的相關性只有一點點。
But about four centuries before Christ,
但約在公元前400年左右,
this starts ramping up very rapidly to an almost five-fold increase of books getting closer,
它快速成長了五倍,
and closer and closer to the concept of introspection.
這些書與內省的概念越來越接近。
And one of the nice things about this is that now we can ask
最棒的是,我們可以問計算機
whether this is also true in a different, independent tradition.
在不同的、獨立的傳統文化中,是否也有一樣的現象。
So we just ran this same analysis on the Judeo-Christian tradition, and we got virtually the same pattern.
所以,我們用同樣的方法分析了傳統猶太基督教的書籍,也得到了類似的趨勢。
Again, you see a small increase for the oldest books in the Old Testament,
在最古老的舊約圣經中,你可以看到它緩慢地增加,
and then it increases much more rapidly in the new books of the New Testament.
之后在新約圣經中,它快速地增長
And then we get the peak of introspection in "The Confessions of Saint Augustine," about four centuries after Christ.
大約公元400年,圣奧古斯丁的《懺悔錄》內省達到了最高峰。
And this was very important,
這個方法相當重要
because Saint Augustine had been recognized by scholars, philologists, historians, as one of the founders of introspection.
因為圣奧古斯丁已經被多位學者、心理學家、歷史學家公認為是內省的創始人之一。
Actually, some believe him to be the father of modern psychology.
有些人認為他是現代心理學之父。
So our algorithm, which has the virtue of being quantitative, of being objective, and of course of being extremely fast
所以,我們算法的優點不僅可以量化,而且客觀,當然速度也相當快
it just runs in a fraction of a second
幾秒就可以跑完
can capture some of the most important conclusions of this long tradition of investigation.
并捕捉到若使用傳統方法必須費長時間調查才能抓到的一些重點。
And this is in a way one of the beauties of science,
這也是科學美好的地方,
which is that now this idea can be translated and generalized to a whole lot of different domains.
它可以可以解讀、歸納這想法,然后廣泛應用在許多不同的領域上。
So in the same way that we asked about the past of human consciousness,
我們用計算機來分析過去的自我意識發展的方法,
maybe the most challenging question we can pose to ourselves is
或許是最具挑戰性的問題,
whether this can tell us something about the future of our own consciousness.
是不是也可以告訴我們自我意識的未來趨向呢?
To put it more precisely, whether the words we say today
更精確地說,我們現在說的話,
can tell us something of where our minds will be in a few days, in a few months or a few years from now.
是否可以告訴我們接下來的幾天、幾個月或幾年后,我們的心智會達到什么樣的情況。