So I know TED is about a lot of things that are big,
我知道TED總是談一些大事
but I want to talk to you about something very small.
但是我想講一件微不足道的小事
So small, it's a single word.
小到只有一個詞
The word is "misfit."
“不適者。”
It's one of my favorite words, because it's so literal.
這是我最喜歡的詞,因為簡單明了
I mean, it's a person who sort of missed fitting in.
這樣的人是一個無法融入,
Or a person who fits in badly.
或者融入得很差的人,
Or this: "a person who is poorly adapted to new situations and environments."
或者“一個很難適應新位置和新環境的人。”
I'm a card-carrying misfit.
我是真正的不適者。
And I'm here for the other misfits in the room,
我代表其他屋子里的不適者站在這里,
because I'm never the only one.
因為我不是一個人。
I'm going to tell you a misfit story.
我將講述一個不適者的故事。
Somewhere in my early 30s,
在我三十歲出頭的時候,
the dream of becoming a writer came right to my doorstep.
成為作家的夢想在向我招手。
Actually, it came to my mailbox in the form of a letter that said
準確地說我在我的郵箱里發現了一封信,信上說
I'd won a giant literary prize for a short story I had written.
我寫的小說為我贏得了一份大獎。
The short story was about my life as a competitive swimmer and about my crappy home life,
小說講述了一名歷經糟糕的家庭生活的優秀的游泳運動員的故事,
and a little bit about how grief and loss can make you insane.
還有一些關于悲痛和困惑如何讓人抓狂的情節。
The prize was a trip to New York City to meet big-time editors and agents and other authors.
贏得的獎勵是去紐約和知名的編輯、代理,和其他作家見面。
So kind of it was the wannabe writer's dream, right?
這是每個作家的夢想,對吧?
You know what I did the day the letter came to my house?
各位知道我看到信后做了什么嗎?
Because I'm me,
因為我是不適者,
I put the letter on my kitchen table,
我把信放在廚房桌子上,
I poured myself a giant glass of vodka with ice and lime,
給自己倒了一大杯加了冰和檸檬的伏特加,
and I sat there in my underwear for an entire day, just staring at the letter.
就這樣穿著內衣看著那封信坐了一整天。