They are here with us tonight:
他們今晚同我們一樣來到了這里:
Sacha Pfeiffer, Mike Rezendes, Walter Robinson, Matt Caroll and Ben Bradlee Jr.
薩切,邁克,瓦特,邁特和小本,
Please give them a big round of applause.
請在場各位為他們鼓掌。
A free press is why, once again, we honor Jason Rezaian, as Carol noted.
新聞自由像Carol所說,是我們再次表彰Jason Rezaian的原因。
Last time this year we spoke of Jason’s courage as he endured the isolation of an Iranian prison.
去年這個時候我們說到Jason忍受伊朗監獄的勇氣。
This year we see that courage in the flesh,
今年,我們看到了這位活生生的勇者,
and it’s a living testament to the very idea of a free press
他就是新聞自由的鮮活證明,
and a reminder of the rising level of danger and political intimidation and the physical threats faced by reporters overseas.
他也提醒我們,海外記者所面臨的政治恐嚇和人身威脅在升高。
And I can make this commitment that as long as I hold this office,
我在此做出保證,只要我還在任,
my administration will continue to fight for the release of American journalists held against their will.
我的政府就會繼續為解救被強行關押的美國記者而努力。
And we will not stop until they see the same freedom as Jason had.
直到他們都能像Jason一樣重見天日。
At home and abroad journalists like all of you engage in the dogged pursuit of informing citizens
國內和海外,都有像你們一樣的記者,致力于向公民傳播信息,
and holding leaders accountable, and making our government of the people possible.
讓領袖對言行負責,讓我們成為為人民服務的政府。
And it’s an enormous responsibility.
這是巨大的責任。
And I realize it’s an enormous challenge at a time when the economics of the business sometimes incentivizes speed over depth,
我意識到這也是巨大的挑戰,因為如今經有時濟追求快速不求深度,
and when controversy and conflict are what most immediately attract readers and viewers.
爭議和沖突才最能抓住讀者眼球。
The good news is there are so many of you that are pushing against those trends
好消息的,有如此眾多的記者在反抗這一潮流,
and as a citizen of this great democracy, I am grateful for that.
作為這一偉大民主國家的公民,我感謝你們。