Alright, where are we going with this?
那好,我們現在進展如何呢?
What I'm going to tell you next,
我接下來要告訴你們的,
as a lifelong researcher, represents a dream of mine.
作為一個終身的研究人員,代表了我的一個夢想。
I can't say that's it's a promise; it's a dream.
我不敢說那是一個諾言;這是一個夢想。
But I think we all have to have dreams to keep us pushing forward,
但是我想我們都應該有夢想來鞭策我們前行,
even -- and maybe especially -- cancer researchers.
甚至--并且可能尤其是--針對癌癥的研究者。
I'm going to tell you what I hope will happen with my technology,
我將告訴你們我所希望用我的技術會發生的,
that my team and I will put our hearts and souls into making a reality.
我和我的團隊將不遺余力讓它變成現實。
OK, here goes.
這就是:
I dream that one day,
我希望有一天
instead of going into an expensive screening facility to get a colonoscopy,
不需要昂貴的篩選設備來進行結腸鏡檢查,
or a mammogram, or a pap smear,
或乳房X線照片,或制作帕氏涂片,
that you could get a shot, wait an hour,
而是只需要扎一針,等一個小時,
and do a urine test on a paper strip.
在試紙上進行一個尿檢。
I imagine that this could even happen without the need for steady electricity,
我期待甚至可以不需要穩定的電力供應,
or a medical professional in the room.
或者一位醫務工作者呆在診室。
Maybe they could be far away and connected only by the image on a smartphone.
也許他們在很遠的地方,只通過智能手機上的圖像進行聯系。
Now I know this sounds like a dream,
現在我知道這聽起來不太現實,
but in the lab we already have this working in mice,
但是在實驗室中,我們已經在老鼠體內取得了進展,
where it works better than existing methods for the detection of lung, colon and ovarian cancer.
它對于肺癌和卵巢癌的檢測結果比現行的任何一種方法都要好。
And I hope that what this means
我希望這意味著
is that one day we can detect tumors in patients
有一天我們可以很快檢查出病人體內的腫瘤,
sooner than 10 years after they've started growing,
不必等到十年后它們已成型,
in all walks of life, all around the globe,
在各行各業,全球各地都是如此,
and that this would lead to earlier treatments,
這也會讓更早期的治療成為現實,
and that we could save more lives than we can today, with early detection.
我們可以比現在拯救更多的生命,只需依賴早期檢測。
Thank you.
謝謝。