Well, but, leaving his land out of the question, do you like him? Is he liked for himself?
哦,不過撇開他的土地不談,你喜歡他嗎?別人喜歡他本人嗎?
I have no cause to do otherwise than like him.
我沒有理由不喜歡他。
And I believe he is considered a just and liberal landlord by his tenants, but he has never lived much amongst them.
我相信他的佃戶們都認為他是個公正大方的鄉紳,不過他從來沒有在他們中間生活得很久。
But has he no peculiarities? What, in short, is his character?
但他沒有跟別人不一樣的地方嗎?他的性格究竟怎樣?
Oh! his character is unimpeachable, I suppose.
啊,我想他的性格是無可指責的。
He is rather peculiar, perhaps.
也許他有些特別。
He has travelled a great deal, and seen a great deal of the world, I should think.
我想他到過很多地方,見過很多世面。
I dare say he is clever, but I never had much conversation with him.
他一定很聰明,不過我沒有同他說過很多話。
In what way is he peculiar?
他在哪方面跟別人不一樣呢?
I don't know — it is not easy to describe — nothing striking, but you feel it when he speaks to you.
我不知道 — 不容易說清楚 — 不很突出,但他同你說話時,你感覺得出來。

You cannot be always sure whether he is in jest or earnest, whether he is pleased or the contrary.
你總是吃不準他在說笑還是當真,他是高興,還是恰恰相反。
You don't thoroughly understand him, in short — at least, I don't.
總之,你沒法徹底了解他——至少我不行。
But it is of no consequence, he is a very good master.
但這無關緊要,他是一個很好的主人。
This was all the account I got from Mrs. Fairfax of her employer and mine.
這就是我從費爾法克斯太太那兒聽來,關于我們兩人的雇主的全部情況。
There are people who seem to have no notion of sketching a character, or observing and describing salient points, either in persons or things.
有些人似乎不知道如何刻劃一個人,不知道觀察和描繪人和事的特點。
The good lady evidently belonged to this class.
這位善良的太太就屬于這類人。
My queries puzzled, but did not draw her out.
我的問話使她大惑不解,卻并沒有掏出她的話來。
Mr. Rochester was Mr. Rochester in her eyes. A gentleman, a landed proprietor — nothing more.
在她眼里,羅切斯特先生就是羅切斯特先生。一個紳士,一位土地擁有者 — 別無其他。
She inquired and searched no further, and evidently wondered at my wish to gain a more definite notion of his identity.
她不作進一步詢問和探求,顯然對我希望進一步確切了解他的個性感到難以理解。
When we left the dining-room, she proposed to show me over the rest of the house.
我們離開餐廳時,她提議帶我去看看房子其余的地方。
And I followed her upstairs and downstairs, admiring as I went; for all was well arranged and handsome.
我跟著她上樓下樓,一路走一路羨慕不已。一切都安排得那么妥貼,一切都那么漂亮。
The large front chambers I thought especially grand:
我想寬敞的前房特別豪華。
And some of the third-storey rooms, though dark and low, were interesting from their air of antiquity.
還有三樓的某些房間,雖然又暗又低,但從古色古香的氣派看來,還是別有情趣的。
The furniture once appropriated to the lower apartments had from time to time been removed here, as fashions changed.
一度歸層次更底房間使用的家具,因為時尚的變更,逐漸搬到了這里。
And the imperfect light entering by their narrow casement showed bedsteads of a hundred years old, chests in oak or walnut,
從狹窄的窗扉投射進來的斑駁光影,映照出了有上百年歷史的床架,映照出了橡樹或胡桃樹做的柜子,
looking, with their strange carvings of palm branches and cherubs' heads, like types of the Hebrew ark, rows of venerable chairs, high-backed and narrow;
上面奇怪地雕刻著棕櫚樹枝和小天使頭部,看上去很像各種希伯萊約柜,映照出了一排排歷史悠久、窄小高背的椅子;
stools still more antiquated, on whose cushioned tops were yet apparent traces of half-effaced embroideries, wrought by fingers that for two generations had been coffin-dust.
映照出了更加古老的凳子,坐墊上明顯留著磨損了一半的刺繡,當年做繡活的手指化為塵土已經有兩代之久了。
All these relics gave to the third storey of Thornfield Hall the aspect of a home of the past: a shrine of memory.
這一切陳跡使桑菲爾德府三樓成了往昔的家園,回憶的圣地。