So how can we find ways to make arguments yield something positive?
所以我們如何去進行辯論,并使之有一些積極的影響呢?
What we need is new exit strategies for arguments.
我們所需要的是一個新的方式來終止一場辯論。
But we're not going to have new exit strategies for arguments
但是我們沒有辦法找到一個新的方式去終止辯論,
until we have new entry approaches to arguments.
除非我們可以找到一個新的方式去開始一場辯論。
We need to think of new kinds of arguments.
我們需要一種新的辯論方式。
In order to do that, well, I don't know how to do that.
為了找到這種新的方式,可是我不知道應該怎么做。
That's the bad news.
這是個壞消息。
The argument-as-war metaphor is just, it's a monster.
視辯論如戰爭的觀點本身就如同是一個怪獸。
It's just taken up habitation in our mind,
這已經成為我們的思維定式了,
and there's no magic bullet that's going to kill it.
而且也沒有什么快速有效的辦法可以解決它。
There's no magic wand that's going to make it disappear.
我們沒有辦法就這樣讓他消失不見。
I don't have an answer.
我不知道該怎么解決。
But I have some suggestions, and here's my suggestion.
但是我確實有一些建議,這里是我的建議。
If we want to think of new kinds of arguments,
如果我想要創造一種嶄新的辯論方式,
what we need to do is think of new kinds of arguers.
那么我們需要的其實是新的辯論者。
So try this.
所以嘗試一下這個。
Think of all the roles that people play in arguments.
想象一下人們在辯論中所扮演的角色。
There's the proponent and the opponent in an adversarial, dialectical argument.
我需要支持者與反對者,才能進行一場意見相反的,辯證性的辯論。
There's the audience in rhetorical arguments.
在修飾性辯論中,我們需要有觀眾。
There's the reasoner in arguments as proofs.
在證明式論證中我們需要推理者。
All these different roles.
所有這些不同角色。
Now, can you imagine an argument in which you are the arguer,
現在,你可以想象在一場辯論中,你既是辯論者,
but you're also in the audience watching yourself argue?
也是觀眾看著你自己的表現?
Can you imagine yourself watching yourself argue,
你能想象你自己看著你自己辯論,
losing the argument, and yet still, at the end of the argument,
在辯論中落敗,卻仍然在辯論結束后,
say, "Wow, that was a good argument."
覺得,“哦,這是一場不錯的辯論。”
Can you do that? I think you can.
你能做到嗎?我覺得你能。
And I think, if you can imagine that kind of argument
我覺得如果你可以想象一場辯論,
where the loser says to the winner and the audience and the jury can say,
敗者可以對勝者,對觀眾以及裁判們說
"Yeah, that was a good argument,"
“噢,這是一場不錯的辯論,”
then you have imagined a good argument.
即使如此你也已經可以想象一場不錯的辯論了。
And more than that, I think you've imagined
而且不僅如此,我想你已經可以想象到
a good arguer, an arguer that's worthy of the kind of arguer you should try to be.
一個好的辯論者,一個你希望成為的辯論者。
Now, I lose a lot of arguments.
現在,我輸掉了很多辯論。
It takes practice to become a good arguer
要成為一個好的辯論者是需要練習的
in the sense of being able to benefit from losing,
尤其是從失敗中汲取教訓這一點。
but fortunately, I've had many, many colleagues
但是幸運的是,我有很多很多同事
who have been willing to step up and provide that practice for me.
他們愿意為我參與進來并和我一起練習成為好的辯論者。
Thank you.
謝謝。