Your smarts will come in handy because you will travel in a land of marvels.
你們的聰明才智必定會派上用場,因為你們將在一片充滿奇跡的土地上行進。
We humans - plodding as we are - will astonish ourselves.
我們人類,盡管跬步前行,卻終將令自己大吃一驚。
We'll invent ways to generate clean energy and a lot of it.
我們能夠想方設法制造很多清潔能源。
Atom by atom, we'll assemble small machines that can enter cell walls and make repairs.
也能夠一個原子一個原子地組裝微型機械,使之穿過細胞壁,然后修復細胞。
This month comes the extraordinary but also inevitable news that we've synthesized life.
這個月,有一個異常而不可避免的事情發生了—人類終于合成了生命。
In the coming years, we'll not only synthesize it, but we'll engineer it to specifications.
在未來幾年,我們不僅會合成生命,還會按說明書驅動它們。
I believe you'll even see us understand the human brain.
我相信你們甚至會看到我們理解人類的大腦。
Jules Verne, Mark Twain, Galileo, Newton - all the curious from the ages would have wanted to be alive most of all right now.
儒勒·凡爾納,馬克·吐溫,伽利略,牛頓—所有那些充滿好奇之心的人都希望能夠活到現在。
As a civilization, we will have so many gifts, just as you as individuals have so many individual gifts as you sit before me.
作為文明人,我們會擁有如此之多的天賦,就像是坐在我面前的你們,每一個生命個體都擁有許多獨特的天賦。
How will you use these gifts?
你們要如何運用這些天賦呢?
And will you take pride in your gifts or pride in your choices?
你們會為自己的天賦感到驕傲,還是會為自己的選擇感到驕傲?
I got the idea to start Amazon 16 years ago.
16年前,我萌生了創辦亞馬遜的想法。
I came across the fact that Web usage was growing at 2,300 percent per year.
彼時我面對的現實是互聯網使用量以每年2300%的速度增長。
I'd never seen or heard of anything that grew that fast, and the idea of building an online bookstore with millions of titles
我從未看到或聽說過任何增長如此快速的東西。創建涵蓋幾百萬種書籍的網上書店的想法令我興奮異常,
something that simply couldn't exist in the physical world - was very exciting to me.
因為這個東西在物理世界里根本無法存在。
I had just turned 30 years old, and I'd been married for a year.
那時我剛剛30歲,結婚才一年。
I told my wife MacKenzie that I wanted to quit my job and go do this crazy thing that probably wouldn't work since most startups don't,
我告訴妻子MacKenzie想辭去工作,然后去做這件瘋狂的事情,很可能會失敗,因為大部分創業公司都是如此,
and I wasn't sure what would happen after that.
而且我不確定那之后會發生什么。
MacKenzie (also a Princeton grad and sitting here in the second row) told me I should go for it.
MacKenzie,(也是普林斯頓的畢業生,就在第二排坐著)告訴我,我應該放手一搏。
As a young boy, I'd been a garage inventor.
在我還是一個男孩兒的時候,我是車庫發明家。
I'd invented an automatic gate closer out of cement-filled tires, a solar cooker that didn't work very well out of an umbrella and tinfoil, baking-pan alarms to entrap my siblings.
我曾用水泥填充的輪胎、雨傘和錫箔以及報警器制作了一個自動關門器。
I'd always wanted to be an inventor, and she wanted me to follow my passion.
我一直想做一個發明家,MacKenzie支持我追隨內心的熱情。
I was working at a financial firm in New York City with a bunch of very smart people, and I had a brilliant boss that I much admired.
我當時在紐約一家金融公司工作,同事是一群非常聰明的人,我的老板也很有智慧,我很羨慕他。