You know, we are often uncomfortable in the face of things that are unfamiliar,
要知道,我們常常在面對自己不熟悉的事物時,感到不自在、不舒服。
and that's especially true when we're talking about sex.
而當我們在討論到性的時候,這種情況更容易發生。
I want you to think back to the first time you ever heard about sex.
請回憶一下你第一次聽說"性"這件事的時候。
I remember when my parents gave me this book "Where Do Babies Come From? "
我記得我父母給過我《小孩從何而來》這本讀物。
It was about two years ago. And...
大概兩年前吧。
I learned fast.
我學得很快。
Seriously, I was a child, and my parents gave me this book "Where Do Babies Come From? "
不開玩笑地說,我那時還是個孩子,我父母給了我這本書。
And I'm reading through it, "Two people love each other very much, apparently that's the key to the whole process ."
我從頭到尾開始讀:"兩個人彼此相愛..."很明顯,這個前提很關鍵。
I thought that if I loved my mother too much she might become pregnant.
我那時候生怕愛媽媽太深了,導致她懷孕。
Then she became pregnant with my sister and I was kind of freaked out by that.
結果她真的懷了我妹妹的時候,我都驚慌失措了。
But I remember when I was going through this book, coming to this page, going,
我還記得我開始讀這本書的時候,翻到了這樣一頁
"You're supposed to put what, where, and do what with it? !"
:"需要把xx放到xx里,然后xxoo!!??"
And it wasn't just because I was a little gay kid.
不管我是不是一個同性戀小孩。
Sex is weird. I mean think about it. Sex is...
"性"對那時的我來說都是件見鬼的事情。
Two people, they get naked, they rub up and down, they exchange bodily fluids,
想想吧,兩個人,脫光了衣服,互相摸來摸去,還要交換體液。
and then you try and think, "Oh, I get it now."
當你親身實踐"性"的時候,你會慢慢了解它。
But, in the abstract, sex is kind of weird, and I think that when it comes to homosexuality,
可是,作為一個抽象概念的話,"性"確實是一個怪東西。同樣道理,當人們碰到"同性戀"這個陌生概念的時候,
a lot of people never get past that whole "that's just weird" reaction.
很多人都會停留在"那真是個怪東西"這個階段。(而無法通過實踐去了解,因為他們是異性戀)
And then, they translate that "that's just weird" reaction to "that's wrong!"
接下來他們會把"那真是件怪東西"解讀為"那是錯的"。
So, if that's the problem or at least part of the problem, what's the solution?
所以如果這是導致歧視的真正問題所在,或者說這是真正問題的一部分的話,我們如何解決這個問題呢?
Am I going to suggest that you all should go out and try it?
我是否應該建議異性戀都嘗試一下同性戀行為呢?
No. That would be interesting, but no.
我看不錯--但是不行啊!
I think a big part of the solution is for straight people to actually get to know gay and lesbian people
我想,解決歧視問題的很重要的一部分,是讓異性戀能夠真正了解同性戀人群。
because only then do we come to realize that we have many of the same hopes and dreams, fears and challenges as everyone else.
因為只有這樣,我們才會真正懂得,我們都擁有相同的希冀和夢想、相同的恐懼和挑戰。
That sounds very simple, but it's not easy.
聽起來很簡單,但做起來卻很難。
It's not easy because it gives us all a responsibility-a kind of homework assignment, if you will.
它難在賦予我們每個人肩上一份責任,就如同家庭作業一樣。
It gives a responsibility to straight people because it means
異性戀朋友的責任是,
you've got to get outside of your comfort zones a little bit, when talking to gay, lesbian, and bisexual people.
稍微克制一下不自在的感覺,來和同性戀、雙性戀朋友進行交流。
And straight people say to me, "Oh no, I'm cool with the gay thing. I used to watch Will and Grace."
有異性戀朋友跟我說:"同性戀對我沒什么大不了,我看過同性電視劇《威爾和格蕾絲》。"
Yeah, great.
好極了。
That's not just what I'm talking about though.
不過我指的不是那些文藝作品。
I'm talking about real life, flesh and blood people.
我指的是活生生的有血有肉的人,和他們的生活。
But that, of course, puts a responsibility on those of us who are gay, lesbian, and bisexual
同樣我們同性戀和雙性戀朋友們的肩上也有一份責任,
because it means that in order to do that kind of education by example, we have to be out of the closet.
因為如果我們想教會異性戀朋友們如何理解我們,首先要走出禁錮自己的"柜子"。
When I saw out of the closet I don't mean, "Well, I go to the bar on the weekend."
"走出柜子"對我來說,不是指在周末去同志酒吧,
That's nice, but I just mean being honest about who we are.
而是指誠實地面對自己。
And that's not easy to do.
這可不是件容易事。
In fact sometimes it's not safe to do.
事實上甚至不是一件足夠安全的事情。
Maybe you're not at a point where you can do that, but it's so important.
也許你心里還沒有準備好做這件事,但"走出柜子"真的太重要了。