When I say it makes some people happy, I don't just mean that they're pleasurable, although that's part of it.
我說它能讓一部分人幸福,并不是僅指它令人愉悅的那部分。
But, there's more to it than that.
雖然愉悅這一點是幸福的組成部分,但還有更多的東西在里邊。
A homosexual relationship, like a heterosexual relationship, can be an important avenue of meaning and long-term fulfillment in people's lives.
同性戀的情感關系和異性戀的情感關系一樣,是人們溝通的管道,可以讓長久的人生變得充實豐滿。
This is the kind of thing that we celebrate when we talk about heterosexuality.
當我們談到異性戀情感的時候,我們都會祝福贊美這一點。
We celebrate it everywhere from great literature to romance novels to trashy shows on MTV.
天南地北的人們都用文學藝術小說甚至電視肥皂劇來贊頌這種美好的事物。
You know these shows?
隨便什么電視節目。
You can feel your brain cells dying as you watch some of these shows; you know the ones.
哪怕是讓你死掉無數大腦細胞的爛節目。
But they have this point in common about finding a special someone, connecting with that person, expressing your feelings for that person in a way for which mere words would be inadequate.
它們都在這一點上有相同的共識:在人海中找到某人,和他或她建立聯系,用連語言都不足以表達的各種方式,傳遞你對他或她的情感。
This is a wonderful, beautiful part of the human experience.
這是多么美好的人生體驗啊!
If we're going to deny this to a whole group of people by saying, "You can't have that. That's wrong," we better have a darn good reason.
如果我們隊整整一群人說:"錯,你們不配擁有這些。"然后否定他們,禁止他們擁有這樣的情感...見鬼,我們真有那么充分的理由嗎?
So, let's look at what some of those reasons might be.
好吧,我們就說說這些"理由"都是些什么樣的。
And the first reason that I'm going to look at, the first argument is the argument that homosexuality is wrong because the Bible condemns it.
先說第一個理由,第一個反對同性戀的論點說,同性戀之所以有錯,是因為圣經譴責它。
Now, when I say "the Bible," I could be talking about a lot of different things.
當我說到圣經的時候,廣義上其實指的可能是一系列不同的東西。
There are many different scriptural texts that different groups of people recognize as authoritative.
圣經有非常多不同版本的教義文本,不同的信仰人群會選擇奉不同的版本為圭臬。
Even if we focus on the Judeo-Christian tradition, which is actually a melding of different traditions, there are arguments about which books should be included, which translations are authoritative, and so on.
我們暫且只提所謂的"猶太--基督教"傳統(猶太教和基督教共有的)。它也是有很多種不同的傳統組成,而且對于不同的篇章是否會被奉為圣經的真義,哪些譯本更有權威也有許多爭論。
We could go through all of that, but let's put that aside.
這些問題我們統統放在一邊,不去管它。
So as you know what I'm talking about when I talk about the Bible.
我先假設當我提到圣經的時候,你們懂得我的所指。
And when we look to that Judeo-Christian Bible, we find some things that actually sound pretty negative with respect to same-sex relationships.
那么當我們翻閱猶太--基督教的圣經時,我們會發現里邊有一些對同性關系頗為負面的言語。
The book of Leviticus says, "Man shall now lie with man, as with woman. It is an abomination unto God."
比如利未記中:"不可與男人茍合,像與女人一樣,這本是可憎惡的。"
Of course, the book of Leviticus calls a number of other things abominations that we don't tend to pay attention to quite as often.
當然,利未記中也把其他的一些行為叫做"可憎惡的",而這些人們卻常常視若不見。
The book of Leviticus says that eating shellfish is an abomination unto God.
比如利未記中說到食用甲殼類海鮮是"可憎惡的"(利未記第11章10-11節)。
Shrimp cocktail? Not if you follow Leviticus.
蝦肉大餐嗎?按利未記的說法那是不能吃的。
The book of Leviticus says that wearing clothing of mixed fiber is an abomination unto God.
利未記里說穿不同布料縫成的衣服是上帝憎惡的。
Cotton-polyester blends? Not if you follow Leviticus.
絳綸混紡?按利未記的說法那是不能穿的。
The book of Leviticus says that touching the carcass of a dead pig is an abomination unto God.
利未記甚至說,觸碰死去的豬的遺骸是上帝憎惡的。
Football? Not if you follow Leviticus.
橄欖球?按利未記的說法那是不能玩的。
They used to be made of pigskin. Stay with me.
橄欖球是用豬皮做的。瞧瞧這邏輯。
And it's not just the book of Leviticus, and it's not just the Old Testament.
說這些的不止利未記一篇,也不只是舊約里的篇章。
As we look through the Bible, we find a number of things that seem, at best, morally problematic.
我們翻閱整個圣經,會發現一大堆東西都存在倫理道德問題。
St. Paul says, "Women must remain silent in the churches."
圣保羅說過:"在教堂里讓你們的婦人保持沉默。"
Doesn't seem to me like good moral advice.
對我來說可不像是什么好的道德建議。(那圣詠合唱需要高音怎么辦?小男孩唄。小男孩變聲了怎么辦?切掉唄。于是閹人歌手登場。多么道德啊!)