Why shouldn't you go on thinking about the unthinkable?
為什么你不該繼續想那些無法想象的東西
Somebody's got to start sometime.
或許有些人已經開始了
Think how many things were unthinkable a century ago.
想想在一個世紀以前有多少事情是無法想象的
and yet people have thought them.
還有人們曾想過的
And often they also seemed quite unpractical.
它們經常看起來不切實際
Not all the things Stephen says probably are to be taken as gospel truth.
史蒂芬說的東西 并不一定都被當作真理
He's a searcher. He's looking for things.
他是一個探索者 他正在探索
And sometimes he probably talks nonsense. Well, don't we all?
有時他可能是胡說八道 好吧 難道我們不也是嗎
But the point is...people must think.People must go on thinking.
但關鍵是 人類必須思考 必須繼續思考
They must try to extend the boundaries of knowledge...
他們必須試著擴展知識的邊界
and they don't sometimes even know where to start.
有時他們甚至不知道從何開始
You don't know where the boundaries are, do you?
你不知道邊界在哪 不是嗎
You don't know what your taking-off point is.
你不知道你的起點是什么
If we do discover a complete theory of the universe
如果我們確實發現了一個完整的宇宙理論
it should in time be understandable in broad principle by everyone not just a few scientists.
它應該及時就成為廣泛的原則 被每個人所理解 而不僅僅是少數的科學家
Then we shall all philosophers, scientists, and just ordinary people
然后我們所有人 無論哲學家 科學家 還是普通人
be able to take part in the discussion of why it is that we and the universe exist.
都能夠參與討論 我們和這宇宙為什么存在
If we find the answer to that it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason for then we would know the mind of God.
如果我們找到答案 這將是人類理性的 最終勝利 因為我們知道了 上帝的想法