You see, the autistic mind tends to be a specialist mind
自閉癥患者通常都是有特別的心智的
good at one thing, bad at something else.
她們往往在某一方面做得很棒,在其他方面做得很糟
And where I was bad was algebra. And I was never allowed to take geometry or trig.
我就是代數非常差,更不用提幾何或三角了
Gigantic mistake: I'm finding a lot of kids who need to skip algebra,
但現在發現這是嚴重的錯誤。我發現,有些孩子她們可以跳過代數
go right to geometry and trig.
直接進入三角幾何的思維
Now, another kind of mind is the pattern thinker.
另外一種心智就是模式思考
More abstract. These are your engineers, your computer programmers.
那是更為抽象化的一種思考形態,通常工程師或程序員就是這樣的心智
Now, this is pattern thinking. That praying mantis is made from a single sheet of paper, no scotch tape, no cuts.
看,這就是模式思考。這個螳螂就是只用一張紙折疊而成的,沒有使用膠布或剪刀
And there in the background is the pattern for folding it.
在后面你可以看到折疊的紋路
Here are the types of thinking: photo-realistic visual thinkers, like me;
這就是不同的思考模式,有視覺思考者
pattern thinkers, music and math minds.
模式思考者,那是音樂家和數學家的心智
Some of these oftentimes have problems with reading.
而這些人往往會有閱讀上的障礙
You also will see these kind of problems with kids that are dyslexic.
你會在誦讀困難的孩子身上發現這樣的特征
You'll see these different kinds of minds.
你可以看到這些不同的心智模式
And then there's a verbal mind, they know every fact about everything.
還有就是言語心智。這些人懂得關于所有事情的一切
Now, another thing is the sensory issues.
另外一個就是感官問題
I was really concerned about having to wear this gadget on my face.
今天要戴這個小話筒,我可真不自在
And I came in half an hour beforehand
我必須提前半個小時把它戴上
so I could have it put on and kind of get used to it,
才能慢慢的適應它
and they got it bent so it's not hitting my chin.
并且要把它弄彎,才不至于觸及我的下巴
But sensory is an issue. Some kids are bothered by fluorescent lights;
一些感官上的刺激確實是一個問題。一些孩子就會對日光燈特別過敏
others have problems with sound sensitivity.
另外一些則對聲音反應強烈
You know, it's going to be variable.
不同的人會有不同程度的反應
Now, visual thinking gave me a whole lot of insight into the animal mind.
視覺思考給我帶來了全新的視角去了解動物的心智
Because think about it: An animal is a sensory-based thinker, not verbal -- thinks in pictures,
你們不妨想想。動物是一種基于感官的思考者,它們沒有語言,只會通過圖像來,思考
thinks in sounds, thinks in smells.
還有是通過聲音以及氣味
Think about how much information there is there on the local fire hydrant.
你想象一下救火的管子上布滿了多少的信息
He knows who's been there, when they were there.
可以看出有誰到過那里,什么時候在哪里
Are they friend or foe? Is there anybody he can go mate with?
他們是不是敵人,是否有配對的同伴等
There's a ton of information on that fire hydrant.
總之,會有一大堆的信息布滿在救火管子上
It's all very detailed information,
并且都是非常詳細的信息
and, looking at these kind of details gave me a lot of insight into animals.
通過閱讀這些信息,使我有機會認識到動物的心智
Now, the animal mind, and also my mind, puts sensory-based information into categories.
不管是人的大腦還是動物的大腦,都是將感官的信息分類進行處理的
Man on a horse and a man on the ground
人騎在馬上跟人站在地面
that is viewed as two totally different things.
這是被當成完全不一樣的信息來處理的
You could have a horse that's been abused by a rider.
一匹曾被騎手虐待的馬
They'll be absolutely fine with the veterinarian and with the horseshoer, but you can't ride him.
在獸醫面前卻表現得很安詳,在馬鐙師面前也很溫順,但他們還不能騎那匹馬
You have another horse, where maybe the horseshoer beat him up
假如另外一匹馬,曾給馬鐙師狠狠的訓了一頓
and he'll be terrible for anything on the ground, with the veterinarian, but a person can ride him.
那么這馬就會很怕任何地上的東西,對于獸醫也會怕,但是你可以騎它
Cattle are the same way.
牛也是這樣。
Man on a horse, a man on foot -- they're two different things.
人騎在馬上跟站在地上,這是兩回事
You see, it's a different picture.
你看到沒有,在馬的眼里,是兩副不一樣的畫面
See, I want you to think about just how specific this is.
請看看這里是多么精細的細節吧
Now, this ability to put information into categories,
這樣一種把信息分類處理的能力
I find a lot of people are not very good at this.
很多人都是不擅長的
When I'm out troubleshooting equipment or problems with something in a plant,
當我在地里排除設備意外或處理種植物上的一些問題
they don't seem to be able to figure out, "Do I have a training people issue?
我身邊的人似乎看不出那是人員培訓的問題
Or do I have something wrong with the equipment?"
還是設備本身的問題
In other words, categorize equipment problem from a people problem.
換而言之,就是要將設備問題與人的問題分開來談
I find a lot of people have difficulty doing that.
但我發現很多人都沒有掌握這一點
Now, let's say I figure out it's an equipment problem.
比方說,這是個設備的問題
Is it a minor problem, with something simple I can fix?
那么它是一個小問題,用簡單的工具就能解決呢
Or is the whole design of the system wrong?
還是整個系統的設計問題?
People have a hard time figuring that out.
但人們往往就很難找到答案