我的老板就是一個徹頭徹尾的吹牛大王。
He likes to boast about his accomplishments and acquisitions every chance he gets.
他總是喜歡吹噓他的成就及他來之不易獲得的所有機會。
Unfortunately, I seem to be his favorite audience.
不幸的是,我似乎是他最喜歡的聽眾。
Boss:You won't believe what I did over the weekend.
老板:你肯定不相信我上周末做了什么。
I went mountain climbing and skydiving.
我去爬山,跳傘了。
What I wanted to say was, “Uh, spare me!”
我想說的是,“呃,放過我吧!”
But what I said instead was, “Oh, really? How exciting.”It doesn't take much encouragement to get him going.
但我說的是“哦,真的嗎?一定很刺激吧?!辈恍枰喙膭钏?。
Boss:And I found time to test-drive the new McQ sports car yesterday.
老板:昨天我還抽時間試駕了新McQ跑車。
I'm thinking of buying one.
我正考慮入手一輛呢。
Do I really look that gullible?
我真的看起來是那么容易上當的嗎?
I knew that the boss didn't have that kind of money, but I didn't let it show on my face and simply said, “That's a very impressive car.”
我知道老板沒有買那車的錢,但又不能展現出來,于是便輕描淡寫地說,“那真是一輛非常令人印象深刻的車?!?/div>
Boss:I have my eye on a luxury vacation condo by the lake.
老板:我還關注湖邊奢華公寓的度假。
Some lucky girl will get to stay there with me.
一些幸運的女孩和我在那里共度美好時光。
Now I knew he was blowing smoke, but what could I say?
現在我知道他又空口說白話了,但我能說什么呢?
I just muttered, “Lucky girl,” and left it at that.
我只是咕噥著,“幸運的女孩嘛…”,然后就這樣了。
What was the point of all that, unless…
問題在于,除非…