In vast particle accelerators like this one at CERN in Switzerland
在巨大的粒子加速器里 例如瑞士歐洲核子研究委員會這一臺
Scientists are on the hunt for quarks and other subatomic particles.
科學家正在尋找夸克和其它亞原子粒子
By smashing protons together at incredible speed
借由以驚人的速度將質子互相對撞
We can study the behavior of the tiniest particles in nature.
就能研究自然界最小粒子的行為
Although we haven't enable to directly observe quarks,
雖然我們無法直接觀察夸克
we have seen evidence of particle behavior predicted by the quark model.
卻看到了從夸克模型預測粒子行為的證據
So do Quarks exist?
那么夸克到底存不存在?
The answer is they exist only as a model that works.
答案是夸克只存在于相符的模型當中
That is as far as we can go
這就是我們目前所知道的
This is called the concept of model dependent reality.
即我們所能建立的模型中 這種概念就稱為"模態實在論"
And I believe that lead us directly to the meaning of life.
我認為這就能直接解釋生命的意義
To my mind,science has taught us something pretty remarkable:
就我看來 科學讓我們得知非常不可思議的事情
We humans are highly complex biological machines behaving in accordance
人類是高度復雜的生物機器
with the laws of nature. Our brains create and sustain our conscious mind
行為舉止全根據自然法則 大腦得以創造并延續人的意識
through an extraordinary network of interacting neurons.
有賴于奇妙的神經元互動網絡
That consciousness creates a three-dimensional model
而人的意識 創造了
of the outside world:
外在世界的三維模型
a best fit model that we call reality.
這種最適模型就是我們所謂的現實