Yes, his enemies were the worst.
不錯,他的仇敵最壞。
They shed blood they had no right to shed. How dared they kill him!
他們讓自己沒有權利傷害的人流了血,竟敢殺害了他!
Helen was talking to herself now.
此刻海倫在自言自語了。
She had forgotten I could not very well understand her — that I was ignorant, or nearly so, of the subject she discussed.
她忘了我無法很好理解她的話,忘了我對她談論的話題一無所知,或者差不多如此。
I recalled her to my level.
我把她拉回到我的水準上來。
And when Miss Temple teaches you, do your thoughts wander then?
那么坦普爾小姐上課的時候,你也走神嗎?
No, certainly, not often, because Miss Temple has generally something to say which is newer than my own reflections.
當然不是,不常這樣。因為坦普爾小姐總是有比我的想法更富有新意的東西要說。
Her language is singularly agreeable to me, and the information she communicates is often just what I wished to gain.
她的語言也特別讓我喜歡,她所傳授的知識常常是我所希望獲得的。

Well, then, with Miss Temple you are good?
這么看來,你在坦普爾小姐面前表現很好羅。
Yes, in a passive way, I make no effort. I follow as inclination guides me.
是的,出于被動。我沒有費力氣,只是隨心所欲而己。
There is no merit in such goodness.
這種表現好沒有什么了不起。
A great deal. You are good to those who are good to you.
很了不起,別人待你好,你待別人也好。
It is all I ever desire to be.
我就一直希望這樣做。
If people were always kind and obedient to those who are cruel and unjust, the wicked people would have it all their own way.
要是你對那些強橫霸道的人,總是客客氣氣,說啥聽啥。
They would never feel afraid, and so they would never alter, but would grow worse and worse.
那壞人就會為所欲為,就會天不怕地不怕,非但永遠不會改,而且會愈變愈壞。
When we are struck at without a reason, we should strike back again very hard.
要是無緣無故挨打,那我們就要狠狠地回擊。
I am sure we should — so hard as to teach the person who struck us never to do it again.
肯定得這樣,狠到可以教訓那個打我們的人,讓他再也洗手不干了。
You will change your mind, I hope, when you grow older, as yet you are but a little untaught girl.
我想,等你長大了你的想法會改變的,現在你不過是個沒有受過教育的小姑娘。
But I feel this, Helen. I must dislike those who, whatever I do to please them, persist in disliking me.
可我是這么感覺的,海倫,那些不管我怎樣討他們歡心,硬是討厭我的人,我必定會厭惡的。
I must resist those who punish me unjustly.
我必須反抗那些無理懲罰我的人。
It is as natural as that I should love those who show me affection, or submit to punishment when I feel it is deserved.
同樣自然的是,我會愛那些愛撫我的人,或者當我認為自己該受罰的時候,我會心甘情愿去承受。
Heathens and savage tribes hold that doctrine, but Christians and civilised nations disown it.
那是異教徒和野蠻宗族的信條,基督教徒和開化的民族不信這一套。
How? I don't understand.
怎么會呢?我不懂。
It is not violence that best overcomes hate - nor vengeance that most certainly heals injury.
暴力不是消除仇恨的最好辦法-同樣,報復也絕對醫治不了傷害。