Here is a computer simulation.
這是計算機模擬。
And we need a way to simplify it.
我們需要簡化它的方法。
Well, I like to think about this using an analogy.
我會用一個類比來理解。
If I want to understand the sinking of the Titanic,
如果我想了解泰坦尼克號的沉沒,
the most important thing to do is not to model the little positions of every single little piece of the boat that broke off.
最重要的事情不是去模擬每一片斷裂的小碎片的每一個位置。
The most important thing to do is to track the two biggest parts.
最重要的是抓住斷裂的兩半船體的位置。
Similarly, I can learn a lot about the universe at the largest scales by tracking its biggest pieces and those biggest pieces are clusters of galaxies.
同樣,我可以通過追蹤宇宙的最大的部件來學到宇宙大尺度的很多信息,而這最大的部件就是星團。
So, as I come to a close,
現在我即將結尾,
you might feel slightly cheated.
你可能覺得有點受騙上當。
I mean, I began by talking about how galaxy clusters are useful,
我的意思是,剛開始我說星團非常有用,
and I've given some reasons,
我也給了一些理由,
but what is their use really?
但是他們真正的用處在哪里?
Well, to answer this,
為了回答這個,
I want to give you a quote by Henry Ford when he was asked about cars.
我將引用亨利·福特的一句話,當他被問到汽車時。
He had this to say:If I had asked people what they wanted,they would have said faster horses.
他說,如果我之前問人們他們想要什么,他們只會說更快的馬。
Today, we as a society are faced with many, many difficult problems.
我們社會在現今面臨很多很困難的問題。
And the solutions to these problems are not obvious.
這些問題的解決之道并不明顯。
They are not faster horses.
解決之道不會是更快的馬。
They will require an enormous amount of scientific ingenuity.
要解決問題,要求有非常多的科學才能。
So, yes, we need to focus,
是的,我們需要集中注意力,
yes, we need to concentrate,
我們需要專心,
but we also need to remember that innovation, ingenuity, inspiration,these things come when we broaden our field of vision when we step back when we zoom out.
但我們也要記得創造力、新穎的主意、靈感,這些是在我們開闊眼界時產生的,當我們退后一步,當我們把畫面拉遠
And I can't think of a better way to do this than by studying the universe around us. Thanks.
我想不出更好的辦法做這件事,除了研究我們頭頂的宇宙。謝謝。