The rags were unwrapped from a little girl whose body was massively burned.
打開裹著的布片是一個重度燒傷的女孩。
Again,
再一次,
the eyes and hands of Avalokiteshvara.
觀世音的眼睛和慈悲之手顯現。
It was the young women, the health aids,
也就是那些年輕女性,援助者,
who cleaned the wounds of this baby and dressed the wounds.
清理孩子的傷口并包扎上。
I know those hands and eyes;
我認識那些手和眼睛;
they touched me as well.
它們也曾經撫慰過我。
They touched me at that time.
它們在過去撫慰過我。
They have touched me throughout my 68 years.
在我68年生命中撫慰了我。
They touched me when I was four and I lost my eyesight and was partially paralyzed.
在我四歲失去視力幾乎癱瘓的時候它們撫慰了我。
And my family brought in a woman whose mother had been a slave to take care of me.
我的家人帶來一個女人,她的母親曾經是個奴隸她照顧我。
And that woman did not have sentimental compassion.
這個女人并沒有感性的慈悲心。
She had phenomenal strength.
她有的是非凡的力量。
And it was really her strength, I believe,
我相信,是她的力量,
that became the kind of mudra and imprimatur that has been a guiding light in my life.
成為一種啟發與指引是我生命中的指明燈。
So we can ask:
我們問道:
What is compassion comprised of?
慈悲是什么構成的?
And there are various facets.
答案包含很多方面。
And there's referential and non-referential compassion.
有指代性的和非指代性的。
But first, compassion is comprised of that capacity to see clearly into the nature of suffering.
但首先,慈悲是透徹觀照苦難之存在的能力構成。
It is that ability to really stand strong and to recognize also that I'm not separate from this suffering.
這種能力讓我們保持堅強并讓我們意識到我是這苦難的一部分。
But that is not enough,
但這不夠,
because compassion,
因為慈悲心,
which activates the motor cortex,
激發運動皮質層,
means that we aspire,
也就是說我們受到激勵,
we actually aspire to transform suffering.
被激勵著去化解苦難。
And if we're so blessed,
如果我們足夠幸運的話,
we engage in activities that transform suffering.
我們從事的活動能化解苦難。