We started talking about slavery, and really,
我們聊起了奴隸制度,
I started learning about slavery,
而此時我才開始真正了解奴役的現實,
for I had certainly known it existed in the world,
雖然我一直都知道世上奴隸制尚存,
but not to such a degree.
但完全不知道事態的嚴重性。
After we finished talking, I felt so horrible and honestly ashamed at my own lack of knowledge of this atrocity in my own lifetime, and I thought,
在我們的談話結束后,我感覺非常的糟糕并且為自己對這樣殘暴的現象缺乏認知感覺到慚愧,
if I don't know, how many other people don't know?
我不知道,還有多少人也一樣不知道?
It started burning a hole in my stomach, so within weeks,
這個想法讓我坐立難安,
I flew down to Los Angeles to meet with the director of Free the Slaves and offer them my help.
幾周后我就飛去了洛杉磯去見Free The Slaves組織的負責人,想要有所作為。
Thus began my journey into modern day slavery.
由此開始了我深入現代奴隸制度的旅程。
Oddly, I had been to many of these places before.
奇怪的是,那些地方我都去過。
Some I even considered like my second home.
有的我還把他們當成是我的第二故鄉。
But this time, I would see the skeletons hidden in the closet.
但是這一次,我要去挖掘那些見不得光的秘密。
A conservative estimate tells us there are more than 27 million people enslaved in the world today.
據保守估計當今全世界有超過2700萬人被奴役。
That's double the amount of people taken from Africa during the entire trans-Atlantic slave trade.
這個數字是在跨大西洋奴隸貿易中從非洲被販賣的黑奴總數的兩倍。
A hundred and fifty years ago, an agricultural slave cost about three times the annual salary of an American worker.
150年前,一個農奴的價格抵得上美國一名普通工人年薪的三倍。
That equates to about $50,000 in today's money.
相當于今天的5萬美金。
Yet today, entire families can be enslaved for generations over a debt as small as $18.
但是在今天,一整個家庭被世代奴役的代價可能就只有18美金的欠債。
Astonishingly, slavery generates profits of more than $13 billion worldwide each year.
讓人震驚的是,奴隸在全球產生的利潤每年超過130億美金。