The Empire has been surrounded by Barbarians on all sides
整個帝國被所謂的野蠻人四面包圍
In the North by Celts who were in Wales and Scotland
在北部有威爾士與蘇格蘭的凱爾特人
And Germans and, gosh, that's just a really tough word to use in English it's so much easier
還有Germans日耳曼人,那是一個很復雜的詞,在英語中實在太復雜了,在德語中要簡單得多
Because in German we talk about Die Germanen and then people who are Germans
因為在德語中我們會說Die Germanen來表示日耳曼人
when you think about Germans the Deutsches and Tacitus, the Roman historian
但當想表達德國人,德意志人的時候,你會想到塔西佗,那個古羅馬歷史學家
even refer to him as the Die Deutsche, the T becomes a D
按他的說法叫做Die Deutsche, T變成了D
So now we're using a little word Germans
所以英語中,我們現在只用一個簡單的詞 Germans
Don't think of what we're talking about
但其實我們指的并不是德國人
I'm talking about the Germanic people
我在談論的是日耳曼人
We're talking about all these different tribes
我們正在談論所有這些日耳曼部落
We're talking about the Nordic Germans
我們在談論北歐日耳曼人
We're talking about all these
我們在談論所有的這些
Germans in the heart of Europe the Parthians in the east
日耳曼人位于歐洲的心臟地帶,帕提亞人則位于東歐
What happens for about 500 years,
這五百年間發生了什么我想用一個德語詞來概括
I will use one of these German words that I've been kind of in a friendly manner criticized for by students in the past
我曾經友好地用這個詞,卻受到我的學生的詬病
A volk, a volk is a folk as a people right
Volk是人們所寫的民俗傳說
You probably heard in criticism the term Vandalous,
你大概在一些批評中聽到過汪達爾人作風的這個詞
You know, desire to wander, being used in English as a word,
你知道的,渴望游走,在英語中被作為一個單詞使用
German word use
這個其實來源于德語的詞根
So these are people migrations, people wandering
所以不停地有人們遷徙,游蕩
What happens is Germanic tribes move all over the place
日耳曼部落不停地四處遷徙
I have a map I'll give you in just a second
我有一幅地圖等一下會給你們
Not that I expect you to memorize it,
我并不希望你們去記住它
not that I will ever ask anything about it,
我也不會問任何關于這個的問題
but it shows you where some of the Germanic tribes are
但是這個地圖將向你們展現一些日耳曼部落的分布
How many of you had Spanish?
你們之中有多少人上過西班牙語課
What's one of the big things
你們記得他們教給你重要的
that they teach you about the Iberian Peninsula?
關于伊比利亞半島的歷史事件之一是什么
What are the things that they say are critically important in the history of Spain?
在西班牙的歷史中,他們認為至關重要的事件是什么
Yeah, What happened in the 8th century?
對,就是在八世紀的時候發生了什么
Early 700s
公元700年早期
Moors Invasion, alright?
摩爾人的入侵,對嗎
Who were there before the Moors?
在摩爾人之前是誰在哪里呢
The Visigoths
是西哥特人
Who were the Visigoths?
誰是西哥特人呢
Visigoths had a kingdom there
西哥特人在那里建立了一個王國
Visigoths were the West Goths they are a Germanic tribe
西哥特人代表西部的哥特人,是一個日耳曼部落
And so on this one map you'll see basically see these Germanen had really pretty much overrun the Europe
所以在這張地圖上基本上你可以看到日耳曼人,確實足跡遍布了整個歐洲