Close encounter two: Brookline, Massachusetts, 1984.
遭遇二: 1984年馬薩諸塞的布魯克林
I went to see the movie "Dune,"
我去那里看電影"沙丘"
and a girl talked to me. Now, on its face --
一個女孩跟我搭訕,從表面上看 --
this is impossible on its face, I realize --
我意識到,這從表面上看是不可能的 --
but it is absolutely true.
但它確實是真的.
It was opening night, naturally.
當時是首場演出.自然地.
I went with my friend Tim McGonigal, who sat on my left.
我跟我的朋友Tim McGonigal一起去看的,他坐我左邊.
On my right was the girl in question.
我右邊是問我問題的女孩兒.
She had long, curly black hair, a blue jean jacket.
她有長長的,卷曲的頭發,藍色的工服.
I remember, she had some sort of injury to her ankle,
我記得,她的腳有點受傷,
an Ace bandage, and she had crutches.
有綁帶和拐杖.
She was very tall, I would say.
我認為她很高,
I was starting high school at the time. I would say she was a junior,
我那時是高年級學員.我覺得她應該是低年級的,
but I had never seen her before. She didn't go to my school.
但我從來沒有見到過他.她也不去我們學校.
I didn't know her name, and I never will.
我不知道她的名字,知道也白搭.
She was sitting with someone who I presume was her mother,
她跟一個像她媽媽一樣的人一起坐著,
and they were talking about the novel, "Dune."
她們正在討論小說
They were both big fans, mother and daughter --
她們都是愛好者,媽媽和女兒 --
very unusual.
這不常見.
They were talking about how their favorite characters
她們正在討論最喜歡的角色
were the giant sandworms.
是那個巨大的沙蟲.
And then it got stranger.
這時,事情變的更怪了.
That's when she turned to me and said,
那時,她轉向我并問道,
"Are you looking forward to seeing the movie?"
"你期待看這部電影嗎?"
First of all, I was embarrassed
剛開始,我很尷尬
because I had not read the novel "Dune" at that time.
因為我從來沒讀過小說.
I was merely a connoisseur of movies
我僅僅一個沙漠行星主演電影的
featuring desert planets, as I still am.
一個影片鑒賞家,現在也是.
But it was also the tone of how she asked the question:
但她還是問了很多的問題:
apropos of nothing, like she didn't even care about the answer,
沒什么實質的東西,就像她根本不介意答案一樣,
as though she just wanted to talk to me.
仿佛她只是想跟我聊天一樣.
I did not know what to say. I said, "Yes."
我不知道要說什么.我只說"是的."
I did not even turn my head.
我甚至都不轉過頭來.
The movie began.
電影開始了.
I need not remind you that this was David Lynch's version of "Dune,"
我不需要提醒你那部電影是David Lynch版本,
in which all of the characters
在所有的角色里,
were sexy and deformed at the same time.
畸形和性感同時存在.
There was a character called the Third-Stage Guild Navigator,
有一個字符稱為劇場版航海家,
which was a kind of giant, floating fetus-creature
這是一個巨大的池塘,她孕育著生命
that lived in a giant tank with this orange mist
這個巨大的池塘散發著香橙的
of psychedelic spice
迷幻味道
swirling around him,
環繞著他,
allowing him to bend space and time.
讓他有能力扭曲時間與空間.
He could never leave the tank
并永遠不能離開這個池塘
or interact with the outside world.
或者說與外界有任何聯系.
He had become, in his isolation,
他認為,在他的世界,
so deformed and so sexy,
丑陋與性感是并存的,
that he had to talk through a kind of old-timey radio
他通過一種老式的電臺
to the outside world, and could never touch them.
向外界傳播,但是永遠觸及不到他們.
I mean, I liked him a lot better than the sandworms.
我是說,我喜歡他們勝過沙蟲.
The sandworms were fine, but your favorite character?
沙蟲固然好,但你認為它是我的菜?
Please.
不是吧.
When the movie ended,
當影片結束,
everyone seemed very happy
每個人洋溢著笑容
to get up and get out of the theatre as soon as possible.
都匆忙的走出了影院.
Except for the girl.
除了一個女孩.
As I walked out, her pace slowed.
當我走過她身邊,她放緩步伐.
Perhaps it was the crutches,
也許她拄著拐杖,
but it seemed --
假裝是這樣--
it seemed as though she might want to talk to me again.
看來她還想和我搭訕.
When I say it out loud, it sounds so ridiculous,
當我說出來,聽起來卻很滑稽,
but I can only come to the conclusion
我只能得出這樣的結論
that it was what, in the alien abductee community,
這是一個外星球社區
they call a "screen memory":
他們稱之為"螢幕記憶."
a ridiculous false recollection designed by their brain
大腦給他們一個可笑錯誤的記憶
to cover up some trauma -- say, of being kidnapped
去掩蓋一些創傷--被外星人綁架后
and flown off to a sex pyramid.
飛往金字塔發生性關系.
And so I sure am glad
我當然很高興
I did not slow down to talk to her.
所以我并沒有慢下腳步跟她說話.
I sure am glad I never saw her again.
我很高興從那時起我再沒見過她.