Well one day, curiosity got the better of Pandora,and she did open the box.
終于有一天,好奇心戰勝了潘多拉,她真的打開了盒子。
Out flew plagues, sorrows,and all sorts of evils against man.
飛出了瘟疫、悲傷,以及對人類有害的種種壞事。
The only good thing in the box was hope.
盒內唯一的好東西只有希望。
Jason then asked us,What happens when you open the box and hope isn't there?
然后杰森問我們,當你打開盒子,卻沒有希望,會發生什么?
He paused a few moments,leaned to his right,and was gone.
他停頓了一會兒,向他的右方倒下,不見了。
This kind, intelligent young man from New Jersey had just committed suicide.
這位來自新澤西的善良,聰明的年輕人就這樣自殺了。
I spoke with Jason's parents that evening,and I suppose that, when I was speaking with them,that I didn't sound as if I was doing very well,because that very next day,their family rabbi called to check on me.
那天晚上我與杰森父母談話,我感覺,我和他們談話時,我的聲音聽起來好像是我狀態不好,因為就在后一天,他們家的拉比打電話過來問我怎么樣。
Jason's parents had asked him to do so.
杰森的父母要他打的電話。
The collateral damage of suicide affects so many people.
自殺帶來的間接傷害影響著如此多的人。
I pose these questions to you:
我向你們提出這些問題:
What would you do if your family member,friend or loved one was suicidal?
如果你們的家人、朋友或愛人要自殺,你們會怎么辦?
What would you say?
你們會說什么?
Would you know what to say?
你知道要說什么嗎?
In my experience, it's not just the talking that you do,but the listening.
據我的經驗,要做的不僅僅是說,而是聽。
Listen to understand.
通過傾聽去理解,
Don't argue, blame,or tell the person you know how they feel,because you probably don't.
不要爭辨、責備,或是告訴那個人你知道他的感受,因為你很可能并不知道。
By just being there,you may just be the turning point that they need.
只要你在那里,你可能就是他們所需的那個轉折點。
If you think someone is suicidal,don't be afraid to confront them and ask the question.
如果你認為有人想自殺,不要害怕面對他們,別怕提問題。
One way of asking them the question is like this:
提問的方法有許多,可以是這樣:
Others in similar circumstances have thought about ending their life;have you had these thoughts?
別人處在類似的境況下,會考慮結束自己的生命;你有這樣想過嗎?
Confronting the person head-on may just save their life and be the turning point for them.
與這個人正面相對可能正好挽救了他的生命,從而成為了他的轉折點。
Some other signs to look for:hopelessness, believing that things are terrible and never going to get better;helplessness, believing that there is nothing that you can do about it;recent social withdrawal;and a loss of interest in life.
有一些其他的跡象值得留意:絕望,認為一切都很可怕,永遠不會好轉;無助,認為沒有任何辦法可以進行改變;近來回避人際交往;以及對生活失去興趣。

I came up with this talk just a couple of days ago,and I received an email from a lady that I'd like to read you her letter.
就在幾天前我有過一次談話,我收到一位女士的一封電子郵件,我想給大家讀讀她的信。
She lost her son on January 19 of this year,and she wrote this me this email just a couple of days ago,and it's with her permission and blessing that I read this to you.
她在今年1月19日失去了兒子,然后她給我寫了這封郵件,就在幾天前,她給了我許可和祝福,讓我為大家讀一下。
Hi, Kevin. I imagine you're at the TED Conference.
嗨,凱文。我猜想你在TED大會上了。
That must be quite the experience to be there.
能在那里想必是次難得的經歷吧。
I'm thinking I should go walk the bridge this weekend.
我在想我應該這個周末去大橋上走一走。
Just wanted to drop you a note.
只是想給你留個言。
Hope you get the word out to many people and they go home talking about it to their friends who tell their friends, etc.
希望你能把話帶給許多人,然后他們回家會把這事說給朋友們,朋友們也會講給他們的朋友,等等。
I'm still pretty numb,but noticing more moments of really realizing Mike isn't coming home.
我還是感覺很木,而更多的時候會真正意識到麥克沒有回家。
Mike was driving from Petaluma to San Francisco to watch the 49ers game with his father on January 19.
麥克是從佩塔盧馬開車到舊金山,來和父親看49人隊的比賽,就在1月19日。
He never made it there.
他永遠沒有到達。
I called Petaluma police and reported him missing that evening.
我打電話給佩塔盧馬警察局,報告麥克在那天晚上失蹤了。
The next morning,two officers came to my home and reported that Mike's car was down at the bridge.
第二天早上,兩個警官來到了我家,說麥克的車掉在了橋下。