So, just random contract jobs until
所以,我一直在打零工
I discovered this company called Odeo,
直到我找到了一家叫奧德奧的公司
which was run by Evan Williams.
它是埃文·威廉姆斯經營的
Biz Stone was joining in a few months.
比孜·斯通幾個月后也加入了進來
It was a consumer podcasting company.
這是個消費者播客公司
I had never written a resume before.
我從沒有寫過簡歷
I had no interest in podcasting whatsoever.
我對播客沒有興趣
But I was a really good programmer and I wanted
但我是個很好的程序設計師
to understand the consumer side of the Internet.
我想了解互聯網關于消費者的一面
A lot of what I was doing was in the back end.
我做的事情大多在幕后
While it would touch my mom and her life,
不過卻可以接觸到我的母親和她的生活
it would be so in an indirect way.
這是一種間接性接觸
My mom may take a taxicab in New York City
我母親可能會在紐約城里坐出租車
and may touch my software
這就可能會接觸到我的軟件
or buy a ticket to Alcatraz and may touch my software.
或是買票去阿爾卡特拉茲時接觸到我的軟件
But it wasn't direct.
但它不是直接接觸
I wanted to learn about being more direct in interaction.
我想學一些更多的直接互動的東西
So, I went to work with Ev and Biz.
所以我去和艾夫與比孜一起工作
I quickly learned that
我很快就了解到
no one else there enjoyed podcasting, either.
那里也沒有人喜歡播客
So, no one was really excited to build the product or
所以,沒人真正為造出產品或工具而感到興奮
build the tool and they weren't consumers of the tool.
因為他們不是這個工具的消費者
So, we weren't building something that we loved to use.
所以我們做的東西不是我們喜歡用的東西
So, quite an interesting situation which
這種怪異的狀況
allowed for other ideas to bubble up.
讓很多其他想法冒了出來
In late 2005, early 2006,
在2005年末和2006年初
we all broke up into separate groups.
我們分開進入了不同的組
We were given an assignment to come up with
我們的任務是想出
an idea of something you'd like to work on.
自己想要做的項目
The first thing that came to my mind
我想到的第一個點子
was this idea back in 2000.
是在2000年的那個點子
But now in 2005-2006, we had the SMS.
不過現在已是2005年到2006年,我們有了短信服務
I could actually send
我可以把短信從辛格樂
an SMS message from Cingular to Verizon.
發到弗萊森電訊
That was very, very new to the United States.
這在美國也是特別新的技術
I was in love with the technology.
我非常喜歡這個技術
It degrades gracefully to every single device,
它幾乎完美地適用于各種設備
even the cheapest devices.
即使是最便宜的設備也是如此
And it has this beautiful constraint of 160 characters.
而且一條短信最多只能有160個字
It doesn't really work all the time.
它并總是有效
It's really rough around the edges.
它總是艱難地在邊緣徘徊
I love stuff like that.
我喜歡這樣的東西
So, I brought up this idea,
所以我提出了這樣的想法
"What if we could just use SMS? You could send what
如果我們只使用短信息會怎么樣?
you're doing. It will go out in real time to all the
你可以發送你正在做的事,它會立即
people who are interested in hearing it. And then,
讓每個有興趣聽的人都看到,接著
it would be archived on the Web. You could also enter
它會在網上存檔,你還能再網上讀到它
it from the Web and it would be device-agnostic.
而不需要設備支持
It would be a whole thing. It would be awesome."
它們會變成一個整體,特別棒
My two other people in the park,
我一起在公園中一個操場
we were on a playground,
里的兩個人
said it was a good idea.
他們說這是個好想法
We presented it to the company. It took about a week.
我們將這個想法告訴公司,這花了一周的時間
But then, the company finally got behind it.
但之后公司終于支持它了
I was given two weeks and one other programmer
我和比茲·斯通手下的另一個程序設計師
in Biz Stone to write the software. And we did it.
得到了兩周時間來編寫軟件
At the end of that two weeks, I wrote the first tweet,
兩周結束的時候,我發出了第一條推特
which was inviting coworkers.
來邀請合作者
And then, all the Odeo coworkers came on; they loved it.
之后,奧德奧所有的合作者都來了
And little by little,
他們喜歡這個軟件
we took from that company and
我們一點點地從那個公司學習
we bought them on the Twitter project
還為了推特工程將這些人招買過來
until we spun it out as a separate company
最后,我們把推特分了出來,成立了新的公司
and sold off Odeo.
然后出售了奧德奧
So, that's how that sort of visualization and early
所以,就是這種可視化和想看世界的
desire to see the world led into Twitter,
年少欲望導致了推特的出現
which is still a desire for me.
這依然是我的欲望
Now we have more and more people using it
現在世界上有更多的人
all over the world.
在使用推特
And it's even faster to see what's happening
在推特上甚至可以更快低看到
and what's unfolding in the world.
世界在發生著什么
But it really comes down to
但它確實可以歸結為
that curiosity about what's happening right
對世界正在發生的事情的好奇心
now everywhere and really being
并且正在成為每個地方
the pulse of what's happening right
正在發生的事情的脈搏
now everywhere and
并且可以連接到
being able to point to every single medium.
每個獨立的媒體