And the way we deal with that is we displace them we put them into a golden world, an imagined world,an age of heroes, the world to come.
而我們處理它的方式就是將其替換掉我們將其放入到流金歲月,幻想的世界中,即將到來的,英雄的時代。
And in the life of an individual, we often associate that with some object.
當你以個人的狀態生活時,我們經常將其和某種實體聯系在一起。
The white picket fence, the perfect house.
那白色的尖樁籬柵,完美的房屋。
The perfect kitchen-no bills on the counter in the perfect kitchen.
完美的廚房-在柜臺上面沒有任何的賬單。
You know, you buy that Viking range, this is what your kitchen will look like.
你知道,你如果買的是那種北歐海盜風格的煤氣灶,那么你的廚房就是這個樣子的。
The perfect love life -- symbolized by the perfect necklace, the perfect diamond ring.
完美的項鏈象征著完美的愛情,完美的鉆戒。
The perfect getaway in your perfect car.
開上你的愛車逃離一切喧囂。
This is an interior design firm that is literally called Utopia.
這是一個叫做Utopia的室內裝飾公司。
The perfect office-again, no cords, as far as I can tell.
完美的辦公室同樣地,整齊有序。
And certainly, no, it doesn't look a thing like my office.
當然,不,和我的辦公室一點都不像。
I mean, there's no paper on the desk.
我的意思是,寫字臺上空空如也。
We want this golden world.
我們渴望這樣完美的世界。
And some people get rich enough,and if they have their ideals-in a sort of domestic sense,they get to acquire their perfect world.
當有些人足夠富有的時候,而且他們的理想又存在于那種理家的觀念,他們就能達到理想的生活方式。
Dean Koontz built this fabulous home theater, which is I don't think accidentally-in Art Deco style.
Dean Koontz以裝飾藝術的風格建造了這個絕倫的小影院--我認為這不是偶然的。
That symbolizes this sense of being safe and at home.
這象征了這種家能給予安全的感覺。
This is not always good, because what is your perfect world?
但這并不一定總是好的,因為你到底如何定義完美的世界?
What is your ideal, and also, what has been edited out?
你的理想模型是什么,而且,把什么剔除出去了?
Is it something important?
是一些重要的東西嗎?
"The Matrix" is a movie that is all about glamour.
那么,“黑客帝國”是一部關于魅力的電影大片。
I could do a whole talk on "The Matrix" and glamour.
我可以就這個話題滔滔不絕。
It was criticized for glamorizing violence,because, look-sunglasses and those long coats, and, of course, they could walk up walls and do all these kinds of things that are impossible in the real world.
但是你知道,有批評者認為這對暴力進行了美化。因為你看-太陽鏡,拉風的外衣,還有,當然,他們可以在墻上行走,做各種在現實世界中不可思議的事情。
This is another Margaret Bourke-White photo.
這是Margaret Bourke的另一張黑白照片。
This is from Soviet Union. Attractive.
來自前蘇聯,很不錯。
I mean, look how happy the people are, and good-looking too.
我的意思是,看看這些人,多么的開心,也多么的俊俏。
You know, we're marching toward Utopia.
你知道,我們正在向著Utopia的方向前進。
I'm not a fan of PETA, but I think this is a great ad.
我并不太支持PETA,但是我認為這是一個很好的廣告。
Because what they're doing is they're saying, your coat's not so glamorous, what's been edited out is something important.
因為他們的意思再清楚不過,你的大衣不夠好看,缺少的就是一些重要的東西。
But actually, what's even more important than remembering what's been edited out is thinking, are the ideals good?
但是實際上,比銘記這一點更重要的是去思考,這種理想的模型真的是好的嗎?
Because glamour can be very totalitarian and deceptive.
因為魅力這個東西是非常集權性和迷惑性的。
And it's not just a matter of glamorizing cleaning your floor.
而且也不僅僅關乎于“祛除”是不是一個具有魅力的工作。