"Aren't you going to put on your seat belt?"
“你不打算系上你的安全帶嗎?”
He threw me a disbelieving look.
他用質疑的眼神看著我。
Then something sunk in.
然后某件事闖入了我的腦海。
"Run the whole way? As in, we're still going to run part of the way?" My voice edged up a few octaves.
“一路上都用跑的?這就是說,我們還得跑上一段路嗎?”我的聲音不知不覺提高了八個音階。
He grinned tightly. "You're not going to run."
他緊張地咧嘴一笑。“你不必跑。”
"I'm going to be sick."
“我會暈過去的。”
"Keep your eyes closed, you'll be fine."
“把眼睛閉上,你會沒事的。”
I bit my lip, fighting the panic.
我咬住唇,竭力抑制住恐懼。
He leaned over to kiss the top of my head, and then groaned. I looked at him, puzzled.
他側過身來,吻了吻我的頭頂,然后嘆息起來。我困惑地看著他。
"You smell so good in the rain," he explained.
“雨里的你聞起來很不錯。”他解釋道。
"In a good way, or in a bad way?" I asked cautiously.
“這是好事,還是壞事?”我謹慎地問道。
He sighed. "Both, always both."
他嘆了口氣。“兩者都有,通常都是兩者都有。”
I don't know how he found his way in the gloom and downpour, but he somehow found a side road that was less of a road and more of a mountain
path. For a long while conversation was impossible, because I was bouncing up and down on the seat like a jackhammer. He seemed to enjoy the ride, though, smiling hugely the whole way.
我不知道他是怎么在一片黑暗和傾盆大雨里找著路的,但他終究找到了一條輔路,與其說是馬路,不如說是山間小路。有很長一段時間我們根本沒辦法談話,因為我一直像只手提鉆一樣在座位上彈上彈下。不過,他似乎很喜歡在這樣的路上開車,一路上他都在大笑著。
And then we came to the end of the road; the trees formed green walls on three sides of the Jeep. The rain was a mere drizzle, slowing every second, the sky brighter through the clouds.
然后,我們到達了路的盡頭。樹木筑成了綠色的藩籬,圍繞在越野車的三側。雨每一秒都在減弱,已經變成了一種毛毛細雨,云層后的天空變得稍微明亮些了。
"Sorry, Bella, we have to go on foot from here."
“抱歉,貝拉,從這里開始我們就得走過去了。”
"You know what? I'll just wait here."
“你知道我怎么打算嗎?我會在這里等你。”
"What happened to all your courage? You were extraordinary this morning."
“你的勇氣都到哪里去了?今天早上你還特別勇敢的。”
《暮光之城》
與圖書題目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列別具匠心的封面設計則很好地傳達出了每本書內在的深遠寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅爾指出《暮色》封面上的蘋果代表“創世紀” 內善惡樹上的禁果。象征貝拉和愛德華之間人類與吸血鬼禁忌的愛戀。在書的開頭引用了“創世紀”217頁的內容:“只是分別善惡樹上的果子,你不可吃,因為你吃的日子必定死。”這同時也代表了貝拉如何分辨善惡——選擇是否吃下那顆禁忌的果實,這比喻了選擇跟愛德華在一起或遠離他。