重點講解:
1. beaten up
破舊的,境況差的;
eg. Her sandals were old and somewhat beaten-up, but very comfortable.
她的涼鞋舊了,多少還有點破,但是穿起來很舒服。
eg. The most exciting summer of my life was spent in a beaten-up Chevrolet Impala.
我生命中最激動人心的夏天是在一輛破舊的雪佛蘭黑斑羚汽車上度過的。
2. a measure of
(情形嚴重或發展到了一定程度的)體現,表現,標志;
eg. It is a measure of their plight that few of them have anywhere to go to.
他們幾乎全都無處可歸,看得出他們是陷入了困境。
eg. That is a measure of how bad things have become at the bank.
那簡直就是銀行里糟糕局面的寫照。
3. on my mind
依我看;我的意見是;
eg. There are scenes in this play which to my mind are incredibly violent.
這出戲里有些場面在我看來過于暴力。
eg. To my mind, they will attend the meeting.
我認為他們會參加會議的。
4. be/feel sorry for
(為別人的不幸或不快)感到難過的,表示同情的;
eg. I felt sorry for him and his colleagues — it must have been so frustrating for them.
我為他和他的同事們感到難過——這件事一定讓他們感到非常沮喪。
eg. I am very sorry for the family.
我十分同情這家人。
5. relate to
產生共鳴;認同;
eg. He is unable to relate to other people.
他無法理解他人的想法。
eg. I think it is important for children to have brothers and sisters they can relate to.
我認為對孩子們來講有可以相互理解溝通的兄弟姐妹很重要。
6. through one's eyes/through the eyes of sb.
以…的視角;
eg. She tried to see things through his eyes.
她盡力從他的視角看問題。
eg. The story is told through the eyes of Inspector Simon Potter.
這個故事是從西蒙·波特巡官的視角講述的。
家庭情況
梅麗爾和卡扎爾在一起生活了3年直到卡扎爾不幸離世。后來,在1978年9月30日,她和雕塑家唐·狄墨結婚。他們有4個孩子,Henry Wolfe Gummer (b. 1979), Mamie Gummer (b. 1983), Grace Gummer (b. 1986), and Louisa Jacobson Gummer (b. 1991). 其中 Mamie 和 Grace 是演員, Henry 是音樂家。