"One night, a herd of deer passed his hiding place. He was so wild with thirst that he attacked without a thought. His strength returned and he realized there was an alternative to being the vile monster he feared. Had he not eaten venison in his former life? Over the next months his new philosophy was born. He could exist without being a demon. He found himself again.
“一天晚上,一群野鹿經過了他隱藏的地方。他因為饑渴而變得狂暴,于是不假思索地襲擊了它們。他恢復了強壯,然后意識到他還有一個選擇,可以不必變成他所懼怕的卑鄙的怪物。他的前生難道沒有吃過鹿肉嗎?之后的一個多月里他新的人生觀形成了。他可以活下去,而不必成為一個魔鬼。他又找回了他自己。”
"He began to make better use of his time. He'd always been intelligent, eager to learn. Now he had unlimited time before him. He studied by night, planned by day. He swam to France and —"
“他開始更好地利用他的時間。他總是那么的聰明,充滿了求知欲。現在他有了無窮無盡的時間。他在夜間學習,在白天做計劃。他游到了法國,然后——”
"He swam to France?"
“他游到法國?”
"People swim the Channel all the time, Bella," he reminded me patiently.
“人們一直都能游過那道海峽,貝拉。”他耐心地提醒我。
"That's true, I guess. It just sounded funny in that context. Go on."
“我猜,這倒是真的。只是在這樣的上下文里聽到它實在是很有趣。繼續。”
"Swimming is easy for us —"
“游泳對我們來說是件輕而易舉的事——”
"Everything is easy for you," I griped.
“每件事對你來說都是輕而易舉。”我死咬著不放。
He waited, his expression amused.
他在等待著,他的表情有些發笑。
"I won't interrupt again, I promise."
“我不會再打斷你了,我保證。”
He chuckled darkly, and finished his sentence. "Because, technically, we don't need to breathe."
他陰暗地輕笑起來,然后繼續說完他的話。“因為,就技術層面而言,我們不需要呼吸。”
"You —"
“你——”
"No, no, you promised." He laughed, putting his cold finger lightly to my lips. "Do you want to hear the story or not?"
“不,不,你保證過的。”他大笑起來,伸出一根冰冷的手指輕輕點住我的唇。“你想不想聽故事了?”
"You can't spring something like that on me, and then expect me not to say anything," I mumbled against his finger.
“你不能像這樣忽然向我提起某件事,然后又不許我說話。”我在他的手指下喃喃低語著。
He lifted his hand, moving it to rest against my neck. The speed of my heart reacted to that, but I persisted.
他移開他的手,挪到我的頸窩上。我的心跳速度立刻做出了反應,但我依然堅持著。
"You don't have to breathe?" I demanded.
“你不需要呼吸?”我詰問道。
"No, it's not necessary. Just a habit." He shrugged.
“不,這毫無必要。只是一種習慣。”他聳聳肩。
"How long can you go… without breathing?"
“你能走多遠……如果不呼吸?”
"Indefinitely, I suppose; I don't know. It gets a bit uncomfortable — being without a sense of smell."
“我猜,不能確定。我不知道。這會有點不舒服——不能聞到味道。”
"A bit uncomfortable," I echoed.
“有點不舒服。”我隨聲附和著。
《暮光之城》
與圖書題目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列別具匠心的封面設計則很好地傳達出了每本書內在的深遠寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅爾指出《暮色》封面上的蘋果代表“創世紀” 內善惡樹上的禁果。象征貝拉和愛德華之間人類與吸血鬼禁忌的愛戀。在書的開頭引用了“創世紀”217頁的內容:“只是分別善惡樹上的果子,你不可吃,因為你吃的日子必定死。”這同時也代表了貝拉如何分辨善惡——選擇是否吃下那顆禁忌的果實,這比喻了選擇跟愛德華在一起或遠離他。