It's really important to know
掌握活躍斷層的
where these active faults are exactly,
具體位置是極其重要的
so that at least if you can't predict the earthquakes,
即使無法預測地震
then we know where not to build.
至少可以避免在斷層上蓋房
But not everyone thinks that prediction is totally dead,
但并非所有人都認為預測地震是不可能的
there's still a sneaking hope that someone,
我們仍暗下奢望未來某一天
someday, may find the Holy Grail of seismology.
有人能找到地震學的 "圣杯"
Some seismologists would say, "No,
一些地震學者會說 "不
it's impossible and I'm not willing to go that far,
這是不可能的 而我也不愿意再繼續
"Because we don't understand why exactly earthquakes happen,
因為我們不明白地震發生的具體原因
so if we don't understand that,
正因為我們不明白
we can't say they're not predictable. "
所以我們不能說地震是無法預測的"
It's an interesting challenge, we might get closer to it,
這是個有趣的挑戰 我們或離答案更近
there are obviously certain things
顯然 有些東西
we're going to learn and have learnt,
我們要去學習并化為己用
maybe one day,we'll get lucky and find
也許有一天 我們會幸運地發現
that we've been looking at the wrong thing,
自己的研究方向是錯的
but right now, whatever we do has resulted in,
但在當下 雖然我們所做的
well, I have to say failure, but you know,
均以失敗告終 但你要知道
we're trying, we're doing our bit,
我們在努力 也在盡己本分
we think we'll get there one day.
我想終有一天會成功的