In a big San Andreas earthquake,
在圣安地列斯地震中
this station would move more than a metre
這個站點在約小于十秒的時間內
within a matter of less than ten seconds,
移動到一米以外的地方
so other stations like this positioned all along
所以其他類似的延圣安地列斯斷裂帶
the San Andreas Fault could
設置的站點實際上也能
actually track the rupture as it's progressing.
起到追蹤斷裂活動的作用
We're seeing it here coming up the fault
我們可以看到 從這里開始是斷層
and the red is where there's a lot of damage,
紅色部分表示重災區
so we could have used our stations in this area,
因此我們可以將站點安置在這個區域
at this point, 20 seconds into the earthquake.
這時 地震剛開始二十秒
Know that it's underway,
我們知道地震已經開始
we've got a big earthquake started
隨后地震會漸趨強烈
and send that information to Los Angeles
在強震到達洛杉磯前我們能及時
that the earthquake's underway.
發出預警信號
We could potentially get up to a minute's warning.
我們或能做到提前一分鐘發出預警信號
You could hook this up to your elevator
如果這時你不巧正在電梯里
and have your elevator moved to the nearest floor
你就有機會下降到最近的樓層
and open the doors, so people weren't trapped
打開大門 那人們就不會
for the next few days after the power goes out.
在電力中斷后的幾天內被困
We could ring an alarm in operating room,
我們可以敲響手術室的警鐘
so the surgeon pulls the scalpel out of your chest.
那外科醫生就能暫停手術
You could ring an alarm
你可以敲響
where they're handling toxic materials,
毒物處理室的警鐘
so you're not pouring out chlorine.
這樣就不會發生氯氣泄漏事故