ACT I
Who is it? 是誰?
Dad. 爸爸。
Come on in, Dad. 請進來,爸爸。
I thought you might be hungry. 我想你大概餓了。
I brought you a chicken sandwich and a glass of milk. 我替你帶來一份雞肉三明治和一杯牛奶。
I am hungry. 我真是餓了。
Thanks, Dad. 謝謝,爸爸。
What time is it, anyway? 幾點了,順便問一下?
Ten o'clock. 十點鐘。
What are you working on? 你在干什么?
I'm writing a story for the high-school paper. 我正在為高中校刊寫篇東西。
Can't you finish it tomorrow? 你明天完成它不行嗎?
No, I have to turn it in in the morning. 不行,明天上午我要交上去。
What's it about? 是關于什么的?
I'm writing an article on the feelings about graduation. 我在寫一篇關于畢業感覺的文章。
And ... how do you feel? 那……你的感覺是什么?
Me? 我嗎?
A little scared. 有點害怕。
And excited, too. 也很興奮。
I felt the same way. 我當時也有這種感覺。
The scary part's leaving home and moving to college. 害怕的是要離開家到學校去。
Oh, leaving home is part of growing up. 呵,離開家是成熟過程的一部分。
Well, don't work all night. 好啦,別通宵工作。
I don't mind. 我不在乎。
I enjoy writing. 我喜歡寫作。
Well, 那么,
maybe you should think about becoming a writer. 也許你應該考慮成為一名作家。
Maybe I should. 也許我該這樣。
You have lots of time to decide. 你有很多時間做決定。
That's the worst part--making decisions. 最傷腦筋的是做決定。
You'll be OK. 你不會有問題的。
Good night, Son. 晚安,孩子。
Good night, Dad. 晚安,爸爸。
"Hail to the victors valiant, “向勇敢的勝利者致敬。
Hail to the conquering heroes, 向進取的英雄們致敬,
Hail, Hail to Michigan, 致敬,向Michigan致敬,
The champions of the West!" 西部的優勝者 !”
Ah, good morning, Robbie. 啊,早安,Robbie。
Good morning, Dad. 早安,爸爸。
How's my grandson? 我的孫子怎樣啦?
Fine, Grandpa. Fine! 很好,爺爺。很好!
What's all the cheering about? 這么高興是為什么?
Did the University of Michigan win another football game? 是不是Michigan大學贏得了一場足球賽
Better than that. 比那種事更值得高興。
Tell him, Philip. 告訴他,Philip。
I just spoke with Charley Rafer. 我剛和Charley Rafer通了電話。
Who's Charley Rafer? 誰是Charley Rafer?
He's the Dean of Admissions for the University of Michigan. 他是Michigan大學招生辦主任。
And it turns out he's a classmate of Philip's. 有意思的是,他和Philip是同班同學。
We were both on the tennis team. 我們都是網球隊的成員。
Great! 真棒!
It is great. 的確是太好了。
He's going to be in New York tomorrow 明天他要在紐約
to interview applicants for admission. 與申請入學者面談。
And he's agreed to fit you into his schedule. 他同意明天把你安排進他的名單 。
But I may not want to go to Michigan. 但是我可能不去Michigan。
It's one of the best schools in the country, Robbie. 這是全國最好的大學之一,Robbie。
I studied medicine there. 我在那兒學醫學。
Your grandfather went to the Engineering School there. 你爺爺進那兒的工學院。