if thou hast no name to be known by, let us call thee devil!
倘若你還沒有一個為世人認識的名字,我們就叫你魔鬼吧!
What was he that you followed with your sword? What had he done to you? I know not. Is't possible?
你提著劍在后面追趕的那個人是誰?他怎么你了?我不知道啊。你會不知道?
I remember a mass of things, but nothing distinctly; a quarrel, but nothing wherefore.
一大堆的事情在我腦子里,可沒有一件是清晰的;好像與人爭吵來著,可是不知道原因。
Oh that men should put an enemy in their mouths to steal away their brains!
啊,有人居然會把一個敵人放進自己的嘴里,竟任憑他偷走自己的頭腦!
that we should, with joy, revel, pleasure, and applause, transform ourselves into beasts!
我們竟然喜不自勝,鼓著掌把自己變成了畜生!
Why, but you are now well enough: how came you thus recovered?
不過,你現在清醒得很呢;你是怎么恢復過來的?
It has pleased the devil, Drunkenness, to give place to the devil, Wrath;
酒鬼為了取悅魔鬼,就讓位了;
one unperfectness shows me another, to make me frankly despise myself. Come, you are too severe a moraler.
一樁過失緊接著另一樁過失,老實講連我也瞧不起自己了。算了吧,你也太道學了吧。
As the time, the place, and the condition of this country stands, I could heartily wish this had not befallen;
按照此時此地,以及這個國家的情形看,但愿這種事情別落在我頭上;
but since it is as it is, mend it for your own good.
可是既然已經這樣了,為自己的出路盡量彌補吧。
I will ask him for my place again: he shall tell me I am a drunkard!
我請他讓我官復原職;他會對我說,我就是一個酒鬼而已!
Had I as many mouths as Hydra, such an answer would stop them all.
即使我像蛇怪海德拉有一百張嘴,這樣一個答復也會都封住的。
To be now a sensible man, by and by a fool, and presently a beast!
即使現在腦子還很清楚,不一會兒就變成一個傻子了,馬上又變成一頭畜生!
Oh strange! Every inordinate cup is unblessed, and the ingredient is a devil!
啊,真奇怪!每一杯過量的酒都該詛咒,都是魔鬼的饕餮!
Come, come; good wine is a good familiar creature, if it be well used; exclaim no more against it.
算了,算了;好酒得有好人用,不要那么詛咒它了。