We began to glance over our shoulders rather cautiously.
我們謹慎地觀察著周邊情況。
Only fifteen minutes more in which it would be possible to shoot, I thought, glancing at my wrist watch.
我看了一下表,再過15分鐘就沒法打獵了。
It was just five forty-five. I was at the blind, peering through the peephole at Herbert's side,
現在是5點45分,我們在黑暗中,我通過哈波特邊上的窺視鏡向外看,
and Herbert was directly behind me, sitting down. There was a feeling in the air that the day was done.
哈波特就在我后面坐著,空氣中彌漫著一種感覺,這一天過去了。
And then, as I looked out, realizing that every moment was slipping
我向外看,發現每分每秒都在遠離我們,
by bearing away forever the chances it might have held. I saw something.
機會正在遠離我們,這時我看到了什么東西。
Out of the wall of distant shadows came a gleam of gold and black,
在遠處的黑影中,我看到金色和黑色在閃爍,
vivid as lightning against the green, and the tiger walked out of the jungle!
在綠色的映襯下十分耀眼,老虎從森林里走出!
Never in my life had I seen such a picture. Elephants by moonlight, lions at dawn, gorillas at blazing noon I had seen,
我這一生從未見過這樣的畫面,月光下的大象,黎明時分的獅子,耀眼午后的大猩猩,
but nothing was ever so beautiful and so glorious as that tiger walking out of his jungle.
但沒有什么可以與老虎走出森林相媲美,這太壯觀了。
He was everything that was wild and savage, lordly and sinister.
它看起來非常兇猛,兇神惡煞。

For a moment I could imagine I was dreaming.
那時我在想我是不是在做夢。
He stood clearly outlined against the background of the forest, and he looked enormous.
它在森林的大背景下,四肢非常清晰,他看起來碩大無比。
The great striped roundness of him was like a barrel.
圓形斑紋看起來像槍管。
Then he moved, and seemed to flow along the ground, nearer and nearer.
之后他移動了,似乎像流水般移動,越來越近,越來越近。
He stopped, and looked up at our bush. I could hardly breathe.
他停下了,抬頭向我們這里看去,我無法呼吸。
If he should take alarm! He stared with a threatening look;
他是不是警惕起來了,他突然出現了威脅的目光,
then, as if satisfied, he turned his head toward the dead buffalo and walked over toward it.
之后心滿意足的,他朝著死水牛的方向走去。
Then I dared let the leaf go back into place while I turned to Herbert behind me.
隨后,我勇敢地將葉子放回原處,轉過身沖著我身后的哈波特。
My lips formed Tiger here and over Herbert's face came a look of deepest pity.
我的嘴唇出現了“老虎”一詞的形狀,而哈波特表現出了深深的同情。
Poor girl he thought. She has dreamed tigers and she has looked for tigers and now she thinks she is seeing them!
他一定在想可憐的姑娘,她一直在想著老虎,一直在找尋老虎,而如今她以為她看到了。
Then his face changed. He rose, and I moved to his side as he stepped forward to his place.
之后他的臉色變了,他站起來,回到他的位置,我也走到他身邊。
Noiselessly we lifted the leaves over our peepholes and raised our guns to fill the opening.
無聲地,我們掀起了遮擋窺視鏡的葉子,抬起槍對準那片空地。