The happy farmer and his wife
快樂的農夫和他的妻子
Once upon a time, there was a poor farmer called Fred.
從前,有一個叫弗萊德的貧苦農民。
He and his wife Doris lived in a small, old house.
他和他的妻子多麗絲住在一個破舊的小房子里。
One day, a fairy visited them.
一天,一個仙女來拜訪他們。
"Fred, I'd like to give you three wishes." said the fairy.
“弗萊德,我想給你三個愿望。”仙女說。
Fred and Doris smiled at each other and said, "Thank you, but we don't need any wishes."
弗萊德和多麗絲相視一笑說,“謝謝你,但我們不需要任何愿望。”
"I can give you some gold.
“我可以給你一些金子,
Then you won't have to work," said the fairy.
然后你不需要工作了。”仙女說。
"Thank you. We're poor, but we're happy." said Doris.
“謝謝你。我們雖窮,但我們很快樂。”多麗絲說。
"I can give you a big, new house," said the fairy.
“我可以給你一個大的新房子。”仙女說。
"Thank you. Our house is small and old, but it's warm and nice," answered Fred.
“謝謝你。我們的房子雖然又小又舊,但它是既暖和又溫馨。”弗萊德回答說。
"I wish you a happy life," said the fairy.
“我希望你們過得幸福快樂。”仙女說。