1、suppose
假定;假設;設想
Suppose someone gave you an egg and asked you to describe exactly what was inside.
假設有人給了你一枚雞蛋并要你準確描述雞蛋里面有什么。
Supposing he's right and I do die tomorrow? Maybe I should take out an extra insurance policy.
假設他是對的,我確實明天就會死,那該怎么辦?也許我應該再買一份保險。
(根據所知)認為,推斷,料想
The policy is perfectly clear and I see no reason to suppose that it isn't working.
這項政策非常清楚明了,我沒有理由認為它不會奏效。
I knew very well that the problem was more complex than he supposed.
我很清楚那個問題比他料想的要更復雜。
我看;要我說;我想
I get a bit uptight these days. Hormones, I suppose.
這些天我有點焦躁。我看是荷爾蒙在作怪。
I suppose I'd better do some homework.
我看我最好做做功課。
2、purpose
意義;用途
The purpose of the occasion was to raise money for medical supplies.
那次活動是為籌集資金購買醫藥物資。
Various insurance schemes already exist for this purpose.
已經有各種保險計劃可以實現這一目的。
目標;目的
They might well be prepared to do you harm in order to achieve their purpose.
為達成自己的目的,他們說不定已經做好了傷害你的準備。
His purpose was to make a profit by improving the company's performance.
他的目標是通過提高公司的業績來實現盈利。