看10部美劇 認識每一個不同的媽媽《老友記》得理不饒人的媽媽
Mrs. Geller: (to Monica) Your grandmother would have hated this.
你姥姥不會喜歡的。
Monica: Well, sure, what with it being her funeral and all.
肯定啦,這畢竟是她的葬禮嘛。
Mrs. Geller: No, I'd be hearing about 'Why didn't I get the honey-glazed ham?',I didn't spend enough on flowers, and if I spent more she'd be saying 'Why are you wasting your money? I don't need flowers, I'm dead'.
不是,我能聽見她抱怨“為啥我就吃不到蜜汁火腿?”我買的花又太少了,可是我要買多,她又會說“干嘛費錢???要那么多花干嘛,我都死了”。
Monica: That sounds like Nana.
像姥姥會說的話。
Mrs. Geller: Do you know what it's like to grow up with someone who is critical of every single thing you say?
你知道從小到大跟這么一個成天拿你說的話挑刺兒的人一起生活是什么感覺么?
Monica: ...I can imagine.
我能想象。
Mrs. Geller: I'm telling you, it's a wonder your mother turned out to be the positive, life-affirming person that she is.
跟你說吧,你媽媽我能長成這么一個積極向上、熱愛生活的范兒也實屬奇跡了。
Monica: That is a wonder. So tell me something, Mom. If you had to do it allover again, I mean, if she was here right now, would you tell her?
的確是個奇跡。媽,問你哈,如果你能從頭再來一次,如果她現在就在你面前,你會對她說實話么?
Mrs. Geller: Tell her what?
說什么?
Monica: How she drove you crazy, picking on every little detail, like your hair... for example.
說她快把你逼瘋了,對你這么吹毛求疵,連你的……頭發都不放過,比方哈。
Mrs. Geller: I'm not sure I know what you're getting at.
我不明白你在說個啥。
Monica: Do you think things would have been better if you'd just told her the truth?
你覺著如果你早對她說實話,情況會好點么?
Mrs. Geller: ...No. I think some things are better left unsaid. I think it's nicer when people just get along.
不會啦。我覺得有些事情還是不說的好。順其自然比較好。
Monica: Huh.
好吧。
Mrs. Geller: More wine, dear?
還要喝點酒么,親愛的?
Monica: Oh, I think so.
好吧。
Mrs. Geller: (reaches out to fiddle with Monica's hair again, and realises)Those earrings look really lovely on you.
你戴這個耳環真好看。
Monica: Thank you. They're yours.
謝謝。是你給的。
Mrs. Geller: Actually they were Nana's.
其實也是姥姥給的。