1. dare (to) do sth. 敢于做某事
Don't you dare do him the slightest harm!
不準你動他一根毫毛。
No one dare to tangle with him.
沒人敢和他爭吵。
情景對話:
A: That boss was indeed capable. 那個老板很有能力。
B: Yes, he created an atmosphere in which people dare to criticize and argue. 是的,他創造了一個人們敢于批評,敢于爭論的氣氛。
2. pass over sb./sth. 忽略某人或某事
You may pass over the details.
你可以把細節略去不談。
We mustn't pass over his mistakes.
對他的錯誤不能遷就。
情景對話:
A: I forgot to tell you that your mother wanted you give her a call this afternoon. 忘了告訴你,下午你媽媽說讓你給她打電話。
B: How could you pass over such an important matter? 你怎么能忽略如此重要的事情?
3. lose one's mind 發瘋,神經不正常
Robert lost his mind and was committed to an insane asylum.
羅伯特神經錯亂,給送進了瘋人院。
I’m afraid Mary may lose her mind.
我擔心瑪麗會精神錯亂。
情景對話:
A: I must fall in love with her. 我一定是愛上她了。
B: Really? 真的嗎?
A: Yeah, I lose my mind just standing next to her. 和她站在一起我意亂情迷。
4. wonder at...對...感到吃驚
I wonder at your patience.
你的耐心使我驚異。
I wonder at her perennial youthfulness.
我對她青春常駐感到驚訝。
情景對話:
A: John impressed me much. 我對約翰印象不錯。
B: Do you? 真的?
A: Yes, I wonder at his learning. 是的,我對他的學識感到驚訝。