1. allow sb. to do sth. 允許某人做某事
My father allowed me to go out for a walk after finishing my homework.
爸爸允許我完成作業后散步。
Present conditions allow us to do so.
我們現在有條件這樣做。
情景對話:
A:Why are you so upset? 你怎么這么不安?
B: My boss doesn't allow me to use the telephone. 老板不許我使用電話。
2. think ahead 事先考慮,預見
Suppose we think further ahead, say, 20 years.What problems may be encountered then, and what may happen?
如果再想遠一點,二十年后,還可能遇到什么問題,會不會發生什么事情啊?
情景對話:
A: I'd like to chase that girl. 我想追求那個女孩。
B: Hi, guy, think ahead before making decision, it's not so easy to win her heart. 嗨,伙計,三思而行啊,想贏得她的歡心可不是那么容易的事兒。
3. out of fear 由于恐懼
Let us never negotiate out of fear.
讓我們永不因畏懼而談判。
But people make that recommendation primarily out of fear.
但人們作出這種建議基本上仍是出于恐懼。
情景對話:
A: What happened? 怎么了?
B: She squeaked out a cry of fear out of fear. 她害怕,所以大叫。
4. if not for 若非,要不是,如果沒有
She would not have escaped the danger, if not for my help.
要不是我幫忙,她就逃不過那一險。
If it were not for losses, all would go well.
如果不是損失的話,一切就好了。
情景對話:
A: Tom is so nice to you. 湯姆對你真好。
B: Yeah, if not for me, he would be still tortured by his paper. 是啊,要不是我,他還在為論文發愁呢。
5. teach sb. to do sth. 教會某人做某事
My father teach me to smile all the time.
我的爸爸教我要常常微笑。
My mum teach me to wash dishes.
我的媽媽教我洗碗.
情景對話:
A: What did you learn from her? 你從她那兒學會了什么?
B: She taught me to respect every body. 她教會我要尊重每一個人。